Crispy breaded baked pork chops topped with a lemon cream sauce has a touch of richness without being over-the-top. Add some simple short-cut sides and you end up with what’s best described as a properly balanced dinner. Or, I should say: what I think is balanced.
For the Pork Chops
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pound boneless pork chops
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a baking rack on top.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl. Coat the pork chops with the mayonnaise and the coat them with the breadcrumbs.
- Place them on the baking rack placed on the sheet pan. Bake the chops until the internal temperature is 145°F, about 30 to 40 minutes for 1″ pork chops.
- To make the sauce, first melt the butter in a saue pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook it in the butter for a minute. Add the flour and stir until a loose paste forms. Slowly add the cream, whisking continously, until the mixture is smooth with no lumps of flour.
- Add the zest, salt and pepper and stir. Increase the heat and once the sauce starts to bubble lower the heat again to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer the sauce until it has thickened enough to coat the back of spoon. If, at this point, the pork chops are not done baking keep the sauce on low and stir it occassionaly until the chops are ready. This is a good time to check if you want to add more salt, too.
- Remove the pork chops from the oven and let them rest for a minute or two. Add the parsley to the sauce and stir. To serve, you can slice the pork or serve it whole. Spoon the sauce over the top of each.
Depending on how thick your chops are you may need to cook them for more or less time. I use a meat thermometer to test the temperature – it’s the easist and best way to know when they are done.
For the sides, I warmed up some broccoli and one of those packages of prepared cauliflower mash. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the top for a pop of brightness.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 482.3mg
- Fat: 26.9g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 10.3g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 28.2g
- Cholesterol: 123.5mg
Keywords: breaded pork chops, pork chops with cream sauce, baked pork chops