Kohlrabi has a flavor similar to broccoli making it a perfect match with cauliflower. To prep, it, remove the stems, peel it, and cut it into chunks.
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled with stems removed and the blubs cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cream (see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the kohlrabi and cauliflower. Roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- In a large pot heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about a minute or so. Add the oregano, salt, and pepper. Next, add the roasted vegetables and chicken stock. Give it all a good stir, turn up the heat and bring it to a soft boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer it for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the soup. Add the apple cider vinegar and stir. At this point, you will want to check the seasoning. If needed, add more salt. Finally, stir in the cream. Garnish each serving with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
You can make the soup ahead and freeze it, but don’t add the cream if you plan to do this. Only add enough cream (about 2 tablespoons per serving) for what you plan to serve right away.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 484
- Sugar: 12.1g
- Sodium: 1500.7mg
- Fat: 34.3g
- Saturated Fat: 12.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Protein: 18.2g
- Cholesterol: 50.5mg
Keywords: kohlrabi soup, roasted cauliflower soup