This chicken and noodles recipe is inspired by Amish chicken and noodles but more dressed up and easy to make with rotisserie chicken. Thick egg noodles are coated in a velvety cream sauce and tossed with shredded chicken. It’s a 30-ish minute dinner that will warm you up on a cold night.
- 8 ounces thick egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Up to a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces shredded rotisserie chicken (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook it in the butter until the butter turns frothy. Sprinkle the flour and salt over the top of the butter and, using a spatula, stir it into the butter until a paste forms. Cook the flour and butter mixture for about a minute.
- Slowly add the chicken stock to the butter and flour mixture. Add a little bit at a time, stirring constantly, so you create a smooth sauce. Once all of the stock is added, turn up the heat to high. As soon as the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat to medium. Simmer the sauce for five to ten minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cream and stir it into the sauce. If your sauce is too thin at this point, simmer the it for a few more minutes until it thickens more. Add the shredded chicken and parsley and stir to combine. Add the cooked noodles and stir them until they are coated evenly in the sauce. Garnish each serving with more chopped parsley and a few sprinkles of ground black pepper.
Depending on the chicken stock you use you may want to adjust the salt. I recommend starting with less, giving the sauce a taste and adding more as needed.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 453
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 509mg
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated Fat: 10.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.2g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 39.7g
- Cholesterol: 146.7mg
Keywords: chicken and noodles