Flavorful chicken thighs paired with a butter rosemary wine sauce for an elegant meal that’s sure to impress!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1 large or 2 small sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until it’s crispy. Remove it from the pan and leave the fat in the pan. You won’t use the bacon in the recipe, so store it in the fridge to use on salads, eggs, etc. You just need the bacon fat.
- Add the chicken to the pan, skin side down, and cook over medium to medium-high heat until the skin is nicely browned, about five minutes or so. Turn each piece over and let it cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Toss the onions in the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes just until they start to soften. Toss in the garlic and give it all a stir. Let it cook another minute or so. Add the butter to the pan and let it melt. Then sprinkle in the flour and give it all a good stir to coat the onions and garlic.
- Pour in the chicken stock and white wine, turn the heat up to medium-high and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all the brown bits. Give it all a good stir and bring it to a boil. Once at a boil, turn down the heat to medium and add the herbs. Add the chicken thighs back in. The liquid should come barely 1/2 way up the chicken, add a little more wine or chicken stock if needed.
- Cover and let it simmer for at least 20 minutes or until the chicken cooked through. I recommend using a thermometer to check – it should read 165 degrees when inserted near the bone of the largest piece.
- Remove the garlic and herb stems. At this point, you could serve the sauce as is, but I like to strain it to remove the solids. Do this using a fine mesh strainer over a smaller bowl or pot. Press on the solids to release all of the liquid. Return the chicken back to the pan and pour the sauce in around it. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 210.3mg
- Fat: 35.1g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 20.9g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 8.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 30.1g
- Cholesterol: 179mg
Keywords: chicken thighs recipe, white wine chicken recipe