How to Make the Beans (see note)
- Place the beans, jalapeno, onion, garlic, water, and salt in a 3-quart Instant Pot (see note) and stir. Secure the lid, close the steam vent, and choose the pressure cook setting. Set the timer for 60 minutes.
- It will take some time for the Instant Pot to get to pressure and once it does cook the beans for one hour. Once the timer goes off let the steam naturally release for about 15 to 20 minutes. Carefully open the steam vent and release the rest of the pressure. Remove the lid.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans a few times to break some of them up. This will help thicken the liquid the beans cooked in. Add the lime juice and stir.
Assemble the Taco Pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce with the chili seasoning and lime juice until smooth. Spoon a generous amount sauce onto the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish. The bottom of the dish should be completely covered with sauce.
- Place one tortilla in the pie dish and spoon some black beans over the top using your spoon to smooth them into an even layer. Drizzle a spoonful of sauce over the black beans. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, layers black beans and a little sauce in between each, finishing with the last tortilla on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the top of the taco pie. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the sauce. Bake the pie for 20 to 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling hot. Let the pie stand for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish each serving with the cilantro, sour cream, and green onions if using.