A salad that uses the best of what citrus season has to offer! Oranges, tangelos, and grapefruit tossed with spinach and served with grilled salmon.
- 1/2 pound fresh salmon, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons diced shallot, divided
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Juice of one lemon, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups mixed citrus (see note)
- 3–4 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- To make the marinade first combine 1 tablespoon shallot, the garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, juice from 1/2 a lemon, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, the parsley, and thyme in a large zip lock bag. Add the salmon fillet and sort of mush it around to get it coated with everything. Let it marinate for about 15 minutes.
- While the salmon is marinating prepare the almonds by toasting them in a small pan over medium heat. Toast them just until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Next, cut the citrus segments into bite sized pieces. Toss them with the juice from 1/2 a lemon and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat, brush it lightly with olive oil. Cook the salmon about 2-3 minutes on each side. Once cooked, remove and set aside.
- Next, in a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Dijon, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together until well combined. Toss the spinach with almost all of the dressing, reserving about 1/2 tablespoon.
- Place the spinach on a plate and top with the citrus. Cut the salmon into chunks and place it on the salad. Top with the toasted almonds, drizzle the remaining dressing over the top, and season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
I used a variety of citrus for this recipe, but you should use what you like!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 523
- Sugar: 16.5g
- Sodium: 1372.5mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 25.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 57.9g
Keywords: salmon salad, citrus salad with salmon