This lemon bread has a bright citrus flavor and an extra zing from a touch of ginger paste in the glaze. It’s great treat for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon (see note)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 1.5-quart loaf pan by applying a thin layer of butter on the inside of the pan. Add a tablespoon of flour and, rotating the pan, move it around the pan so that it coats the butter. Tap excess flour out of the pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the butter, sugar, eggs, zest, and milk in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in a few batches, stirring in between until the batter is just combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake the bread for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 20 to 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine the sugar, lemon juice, and ginger in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the top and sides of the bread with glaze. Let it dry before adding another layer. Repeat several times until you’ve used all the glaze. Let the glaze fully set before wrapping the bread in plastic wrap until you are ready to serve it.
I like to stir the flour in the container before lightly spooning it into a measuring cup and leveling it off.
Look for tubes of ginger paste near the herbs in the produce department. Or you can substitute the same amount of fresh grated ginger
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 38.4g
- Sodium: 489.8mg
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 78.2mg
Keywords: lemon bread recipe, glazed lemon bread. lemon quick bread