This cozy one-pan mushroom chicken with broccolini is easy enough to make on a weeknight but tastes like you cooked all day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- kosher salt
- 1 bunch broccolini, stems trimmed
- Lemon juice
- Cook the chicken: Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. While the oil is heating, pound the chicken with a meat mallet so it cooks evenly. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through (about ten minutes). Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Cook the vegetables: Add about a 1/4 cup of chicken stock to the pan along with the sliced shallots. Raise the heat so that the stock boils and, using a spatula or wooden spoon, scrape up all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook the shallots until the broth has mostly evaporated and then lower the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes or until they turn golden. Add the garlic and cook another couple of minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan.
- Make the sauce: Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Once it’s melted, add the flour and stir to combine. Cook the butter and flour for a minute or so. Grab a whisk and slowly add the rest of the chicken stock (1 1/4 cup) into the pan, whisking continuously. Continue to whisk until the sauce starts to thicken about five minutes or so (it should coat the back of a spoon). Turn off the heat to low and add the cream and parsley. At this point, give the sauce a taste and add additional salt if necessary.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add them to the sauce. Add the mushrooms and shallot and stir to coat it all in the sauce. While the chicken and mushrooms warm in the sauce, prepare the broccolini. Place the broccolini in a microwave steamer bag with a few pinches of salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Steam the broccolini for about three minutes (follow instructions on the bag). Serve with the mushrooms and chicken.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 534
- Fat: 29.8g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 38g
Keywords: One-Pan Mushroom Chicken with Broccolini, one pan chicken recipe