These peanut butter pots de creme make an impressive dessert – be sure to make them ahead as they need time to chill before serving.
For the Peanut Butter Custard
- 5 fluid ounces 2% milk
- 5 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 ounce bitter sweet chocolate, grated
- 2 ounces egg yolks (from 4 to 5 eggs)
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1/2 ounce of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- For this recipe you will need four 4-ounce ramekins Place them in a baking dish. Bring a kettle of water to a boil and set aside. You will use all of this to make a water bath when it’s time to cook the custards.
- In a medium pot heat the milk, cream, peanut butter, and chocolate over medium heat. Whisk until it’s all melted together and hot (but not boiling).
- While you’re waiting for the milk and cream mixture to heat, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, honey, salt and vanilla in a large bowl. Once the milk mixture is hot, add about 1/2 cup to the egg mixture and stir. This will temper the eggs and slowly warm them so you can add all of the milk mixture without scrambling them. Repeat this with another 1/2 a cup of the milk mixture. Finally, pour all of the egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the milk mixture, turn the heat to medium and, stirring continuously, heat the mixture until it is at 140 degrees. Measure this with a candy thermometer.
- Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer to remove any solids. Divide the custard evenly across the four ramekins. Carefully pour the water you boiled into the dish with the ramekins. Fill it about 3/4 of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the baking dish with foil and place it in the oven. Bake them at 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until set. They’ll still jiggle a bit when they are set, which is how you’ll know they’re done. Remove them from the oven and the baking dish to cool. Once at room temperature, cover them with plastic wrap and store them in the refridgerator to chill for at least four hours before serving. They will keep in the refridgerator for up to a week.
- While the custards are chilling make the chocolate ganache. Gently warm the cream over medium low heat until it’s hot and steamy. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour the hot cream over the top of the chocolate and stir it all together until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- When ready to serve, pour a thin layer of chocolate over the top of the custards and, using a dinner knife, gently spread it around so it’s in an even layer.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 1461
- Sugar: 41.2g
- Sodium: 319.3mg
- Fat: 136.6g
- Saturated Fat: 82.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 45.4g
- Trans Fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrates: 47.3g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 17.8g
- Cholesterol: 542.2mg
Keywords: peanut butter pots de creme