A simple and elegant roasted beet salad with toasted walnuts, tangy blue cheese, and peppery baby arugula. It’s a delicious way to start a special meal.
- 6 small to medium sized beets (about 2 bunches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for dressing
- 4 – 5 generous handfuls baby arugula
- balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the leafy ends of the beets and discard. Using a vegetable peeler remove the skin from the beets. Cut the beats into equal-sized pieces (leave the small ones whole). Wrap the beets in tin foil (you should have 3-4 packets) and drizzle them with olive oil before sealing the tin foil. Place the packets on a rimmed baking sheet and roast them for 35-45 minutes or until the beets are fork tender. Let them cool in the packets before unwrapping. Keep them covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat a small pan over medium low heat. Toast the walnuts for a few minutes, just until they become fragrant. Remove them from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss the arugula with a drizzle of both olive and balsamic vinegar. You want the greens very lightly dressed. Add a couple small pinches of salt and pepper and toss it all together until the arugula is lightly coated with the dressing. Top the arugula with the roasted beets and sprinkle the walnuts and blue cheese crumbles over the top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 199.7mg
- Fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 4.4g
Keywords: roasted beets, beet salad