A no-fuss slow cooker tomato sauce. This sauce takes only a few minutes to prep and a few hours in the slow cooker!
- 2.5 ounces salt pork, chopped (see note)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (see note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine everything except the parsley in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for four hours.
- Puree the sauce using an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the fresh herbs.
- Store the tomato sauce for up to a week in the refrigerator or store in the freezer for several months.
- Look for salt pork near the meat counter at the grocery store.
- Because the sauce is pureed the vegetables just need a rough chop. If you like a chunkier sauce, chop the vegetables smaller and skip the pureeing step in the recipe.
- The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt, but depending on how you use the sauce you may want to season it a little more. I left it a little under-seasoned since I use the sauce in different recipes that may have extra salt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of sauce
- Calories: 69
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 284.1mg
- Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 11.2g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 2.4g
Keywords: slow cooker tomato sauce