Stuffed Shells with Tomato Sauce
Cheesy baked shells with Marcella Hazan’s incredibly simple and flavorful tomato sauce.
- Author: April @ Girl Gone Gourmet
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 (28) ounce can whole plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup romano cheese, shredded
- Pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place the tomatoes (with the juices), onion halves, and butter in a medium-sized pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Break the tomatoes apart with a wooden spoon and let it all lightly simmer for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the shells and boil them for 9-10 minutes. You want them very al dente – they will finish cooking in the oven. While the pasta is boiling, prepare the filling by combining the cheese, nutmeg, parsley, and egg in a medium-sized bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Drain the shells and place them on a sheet pan to keep them from sticking to each other.
- Remove the onion from the sauce and discard. If you want a smooth sauce use an immersion blender to puree the sauce. Coat the bottom of a baking dish (I used a 9-inch glass pie pan) with about 1/2 of the sauce. Fill each shell with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the filling. Place in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 or recipe
- Calories: 857
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 933.2mg
- Fat: 39.5g
- Saturated Fat: 23.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 79g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Protein: 47.1g
- Cholesterol: 176.9mg
Keywords: stuffed shells, easy tomato sauce recipe