Most of the prep for this breakfast bake is done the night before making the morning you serve it a relaxing and easy start to the day.
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large russet potato, diced small
- 1/2 red onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 large corn tortillas (I used Mission brand)
- 8 eggs
- Sour cream (optional for serving)
- In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove it from the pan and let it drain on some paper towels. Add the potatoes to the bacon fat and stir them around to get them coated. Let them cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or so. Add the onion and bell pepper and stir to combine. Cook it all for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the black beans, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, and cooked bacon to the pan and stir well. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and let it all cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/2 of the black bean mixture into the bottom of the dish. Cut 2 corn tortillas into strips and spread them over the top. Add the other half of the bean mixture. Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the other two corn tortillas into strips. Uncover the baking dish and spread the corn tortilla strips over the top of the bean mixture. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and season them with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Pour the eggs into the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set. Slice and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1448.2mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 16.6g
- Cholesterol: 254.2mg
Keywords: tortilla breakfast casserole, make-ahead breakfast casserole