This baked penne is so easy! Everything, including the pasta, cooks in one pan for the easiest baked pasta. Combine everything in the pan, pop it in the oven, and not long after, you have the best comfort food dinner that’s cozy, hearty, and satisfying.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions (use frozen to make it easy!)
- 2 (15-oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth (see note)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces penne
- 16 ounces frozen beef meatballs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the onions, tomato sauce, broth, and all of the seasonings in a 9×13” baking dish. Stir to combine (carefully so the sauce doesn’t splash over the sides). Add the penne and press it down into the sauce. It should be completely submerged. If it isn’t add a little more broth.
- Spread the meatballs over the top and lightly press them into the pasta and sauce. They don’t need to be completely submerged. If any of the penne pop up above the sauce, press them back in.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake the pasta for 45 minutes. After the time is up, take the pan out of the oven and remove the foil. Carefully stir the pasta and meatballs. Place the pan back in the oven (uncovered) and bake the pasta for 15 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Pop it back in the oven for about five mintues or until the cheese is melted. Let the baked pasta stand for a few minutes. Garnish with the parsley, if using, and serve.
You can use chicken stock in place of the beef stock.
For the meatballs, it’s best to use ones that are between 0.5 ounce and 1.0 big for a total of 1 pound. Also, you can also use frozen turkey meatballs. Or, use homemade meatballs.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 509
- Sugar: 10.3g
- Sodium: 893.4mg
- Fat: 24.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 53.2g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 21.8g
- Cholesterol: 54.6mg
Keywords: baked penne, one pan baked pasta, penne with meatballs