Spicy buffalo chicken sandwiches topped with crispy lettuce and a creamy blue cheese dressing. The crispy chicken is coated in panko and then baked. Dip them in buffalo sauce to give them a spicy kick!
For the Chicken
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce (I like Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
For the Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 hamburger buns
- Iceberg lettuce leaves, optional
- Blue cheese crumbles, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a wire baking rack on a large sheet pan.
- Pound each piece of chicken so it’s 1” thick. Slice each piece in half so you have four pieces that are approximately the same size.
- Whisk the egg in a shallow dish. In a seperate dish, mix the panko with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Coat each piece of the chicken in the egg and then place it in the panko. Coat it on all side with the panko – you may need to lightly press it to get it to stick to the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the wire rack and place the sheet pan in the oven. Bake the chicken for 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
- While the chicken bakes, make the blue cheese sauce. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Keep it in the refrigerator until the chicken is done baking.
- Pour the buffalo sauce in a shallow bowl. Carefully coat each piece of chicken in the sauce. Use tongs to move the chicken so you can coat it on all sides. Serve on buns with the lettuce, blue cheese sauce, and extra crumbles, if using.
You can use storebought blue cheese dressing instead of making the sauce. Just choose one that is thicker.
For a less spicy experience, spoon some buffalo sauce on the chicken instead of coating the whole piece.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Sodium: 1304.7mg
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 43.3g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 32.2g
- Cholesterol: 146mg
Keywords: buffalo chicken sandwiches, spicy chicken sandwich