This easy-to-prep soup for two has smoky bacon, tender roasted vegetables, and cheddar cheese. All of the veggies and bacon roast together on one sheet pan before being added to the soup. Add some shredded cheddar and you get a cheesy creamy soup that’s perfect on a cold day.
For the Roasted Veggies
- 6 ounces cauliflower florets (see note)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1/2 small yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (see note)
- 2 pinches kosher salt
For the Soup Base
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Shredded cheddar
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Roast the veggies: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the cauliflower, garlic, and onion on a sheet pan. Sprinkle the bacon pieces and salt over the top. Roast the veggies for 30 to 40 minutes or until they are tender and caramelized.
- Make the soup base: While the veggies roast, melt the butter over medium heat in a 3.5-quart saucepan. Add the flour and stir to combine it with the butter. Slowly add the vegetable stock, whisking continuously, until the flour and butter mixture is fully incorporated. Increase the heat to bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 5 to 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Bring it all together: Add the roasted veggies to the soup. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Add the milk and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted. Serve with the garnishes, if using. Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups of soup.
- I recommend breaking apart the florets so they are of similar size. For the onion, I slice it first in thirds lengthwise and then cut it into chunks.
- For the bacon, I stack the sliced on top of each other and slice them lengthwise into thinner strips. Then I slice them into smaller pieces. The smaller pieces are easier to scatter over the veggies before you pop them in the oven.
- The soup is great on its own, but I like to add a simple green salad on the side to make it more of a dinner. I did a simple combo of spinach and romaine tossed with Marzetti Simply Dressed Avocado Ranch Dressing.
- The nutrition estimate does not include the optional garnishes.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 485
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 36.4g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: cauliflower soup, roasted vegetable soup, bacon cheddar soup