These hearty chorizo breakfast burritos are made with cheesy scrambled eggs, Mexican chorizo, and potatoes. They are hearty and filling – perfect for a lazy weekend.
- 1 (8-oz) package Mexican chorizo
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 10 ounces shredded potatoes (see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro, optional
- 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook the chorizo, breaking it apart with a spatula, for eight to ten minutes or until it’s cooked through. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Remove the chorizo from the pan (leaving the reserved fat in the pan) and transfer it to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt one tablespoon of butter. As it melts, stir to combine it with the reserved fat from the chorizo. Pour the whisked eggs into the pan and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Cook the eggs, frequently stirring, for about ten minutes or until the eggs are cooked but still very soft. Add the shredded cheese and stir until it melts into the eggs. Transfer the cooked eggs to a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and spread them into an even layer in the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper over the top. Cook the potatoes, occasionally stirring, until they start to turn golden and crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- To assemble the burritos: It’s helpful to microwave the tortillas for about 30 seconds to warm them up before you fill them – they will stretch a lot easier. Evenly divide the potatoes, eggs, and chorizo among four tortillas. Sprinkle the chopped herbs over the top of the chorizo, if using.
- To roll, fold the edge of the tortilla over the top of the filling and tuck in the sides. Roll the burrito up. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Wrap the burritos in tin foil and place them on a baking sheet. Pop them in a warm oven for five to ten minutes to warm them through before serving (see notes if you want to make them ahead).
I use store-bought pre-shredded uncooked potatoes for this recipe, which you can find in the refrigerated section at the grocery store.
If you want to make them ahead, they will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can warm them in the microwave or oven when you’re ready to have one. You can freeze them, but when you warm them from frozen in the microwave, the tortilla will get a little chewy in spots.
Nutrition note: It’s difficult to estimate the nutrition for this recipe since a lot of the fat is drained from the cooked chorizo. The nutrition estimate includes all of the fat from the chorizo, so please keep that in mind.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 819
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 2186.2mg
- Fat: 50.6g
- Saturated Fat: 21.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 22.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 50.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 40.5g
- Cholesterol: 463.8mg
Keywords: breakfast burritos, chorizo burritos, make-ahead burritos