Baked ziti is always a go-to favorite. I like to layer this ziti like you would a lasagna so you get pockets of melted cheese throughout. This version has a combination of ricotta, provolone, Parmesan, and fresh mozzarella cheese making it extra cheesy and creamy. Plus, it’s easy to make thanks to store-bought sauce and is ready to go in the oven in about 15 minutes.
- 8 ounces ziti
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded provolone cheese, plus 1/4 cup shredded (for topping)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed, plus 1/4 cup shredded (for topping)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus some for serving
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (24-oz) jarred marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Boil the pasta for about half the time it says on the box (about 5 to 6 minutes) – it will finish cooking when it goes in the oven with the sauce and cheese. While the pasta is cooking combine the ricotta, provolone, mozzarella, Parmesan, pepper, parsley, and basil in a medium bowl.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Pour some sauce into an 8×8″ baking dish, just enough to coat the bottom. Add about a third of the cooked pasta, and top it with some sauce. Using a tablespoon, drop scoops of the cheese mixture over the top of the sauce, about 5-6 scoops.
- Top the cheese with another layer of pasta followed by some sauce. Scoop the remaining cheese over the top of the sauce and add the rest of the pasta. Add the rest of the sauce over the top. It may seem like there is way too much cheese, so be generous with your scoops. Once the ziti is baked those scoops of cheese will turn into the most decadent pockets of ooey-gooey cheese.
- Top the ziti with the rest of the shredded provolone and mozzarella cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil and transfer it to the oven. Bake the ziti for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake it for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and the ziti is bubbling around the edges. Let the ziti rest for a few minutes before serving with extra grated parmesan cheese on the side.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 611
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 1466.4mg
- Fat: 23.9g
- Saturated Fat: 13.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 38.8g
- Cholesterol: 73.6mg
Keywords: four cheese baked ziti, easy baked ziti, vegetarian baked ziti recipe, baked ziti