These chipotle chicken tacos are a little spicy, a little smoky and a whole lot of deliciousness. The chicken is marinated in a simple chipotle sauce and tucked into tortillas with a cool and crunchy cilantro-lime coleslaw.
- 15 ounce diced canned tomatoes
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, plus 2 tablespoons of the sauce
- 1 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 5 cups bagged coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Warm flour tortillas
- Chopped cilantro
- A few squeezes of lime juice
- Puree the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, 1/2 cup of yogurt, cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a blender and process until smooth.
- Divide the marinade in half and pour one half into a large ziplock bag. Place the chicken inside, seal the bag and sort of smoosh it around to coat the chicken. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes and set the other half of the marinade aside to use as a sauce for the tacos.
- To make the slaw, combine the slaw mix, 3/4 cup of yogurt, chopped cilantro, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss the coleslaw mix around in the yogurt mixture until well coated. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and let the excess drip off. Discard the marinade and cook the chicken over medium-high heat. You can cook it in a pan on the stove or on the grill. If cooking on the grill, cook it over indirect heat so the flames don’t char the chicken too much. The chicken will take about 8 to 10 minutes to cook depending on how thick it is. Once it’s reached a temperature of 165°F it’s done. Rest the chicken for a few minutes before thinly slicing it.
- Place some slaw on a warm tortilla and top it with sliced chicken. Drizzle the reserved chipotle sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime juice.
Most likely, you will have leftover sauce. Save it and use it like you would enchilada sauce. It will keep well in the refrigerator for a few days.
The nutrition estimate does not include the tortillas.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe (chicken, slaw and sauce)
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 598.2mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Cholesterol: 62.9mg
Keywords: chipotle chicken tacos, chipotle chicken marinade