This roasted acorn squash soup is a cozy fall soup. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the squash and it’s then simmered into a creamy soup flavored with herbs. I like to serve this soup with toasted bread on the side.
For the Soup
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 2 1/2 pounds total), sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teapsoon black pepper
- 1 (32-ounce) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Toasted bread
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the acorn squash on a baking sheet, flesh side up. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive over the tops of the squash and, using your hands, rub it over the flesh so it’s coated evenly.
- Roast the squash for 20 minutes. Using tongs, turn the squash flesh-side-down on the baking sheet and roast for another 20 minutes or until the flesh is fork tender. Cool the roasted squash before removing and discarding the skin (you can roast the squash up to a day in advance and keep it in the refridgerator). To peel, cut each piece in half and pull the skin off.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the roasted sqaush, onion, garlic, herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Stir it all together and cook them for four to five minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and adjust the heat to medium-high. Once the soup is simmering, simmer it for 10 minutes. .
- Add the parsley and puree the soup until it’s smooth. I like to use an immersion blender and puree it right in the pot. If you use a stand blender, it’s a good idea to cool the soup a bit and blend it in batches.
- Once the soup is pureed, stir in the apple cider vinegar. Add the cream and stir to combine. Give the soup a taste and add more salt, if desired. Top each serving with the garnishes, if using, and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 1281mg
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.5g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Keywords: roasted acorn squash soup, vegetarian soup recipe, creamy acorn squash soup