Broccoli and cheese are a classic pair making this roasted broccoli macaroni & cheese an irresistible temptation.
Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Broccoli and cheese are a perfect pair, aren’t they? What is it about vegetables that make us want to slather cheese all over them? Oh, that’s right, it makes them taste better! I’ve learned to like broccoli all by itself, but stirred into a creamy, cheesy macaroni & cheese? Even better. We gotta live, right?
So if we’re going to smother our broccoli in cheese, can we just be okay with using real butter, cream, milk in our mac & cheese? I’ve made “skinny” versions before and, I’m sorry, it’s just not the same. I’d rather have the real deal and pass on the low fat (aka less satisfying) version, even if it means only making it once in a while. It’s all about moderation, isn’t it?
Let’s face it, what we really crave from mac and cheese is pasta coated with a rich and creamy cheese sauce, which only real cheese, cream, and butter can deliver. This version also has roasted broccoli, which adds a little something special – first, it provides a nice pop of color (and, hey, it’s healthy!), but it also adds a subtle caramelized flavor that complements the cheddar and gruyere cheeses nicely. A bowl of this mac & cheese will make your taste buds happy and make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
So make this with all the good stuff. You won’t regret it.
💌 Sign up and get your free guide: Gourmet Made Simple: 5 Secrets for Making Fancy (but Not Fussy!) Meals delivered to your inbox!
More Macaroni and Cheese RecipesPrint
Decadent cheddar and gruyere macaroni & cheese with roasted broccoli. Great as a side dish or as a main course!
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the broccoli florets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli starts to take on a light golden color.
- While the broccoli is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the macaroni and boil it for 6 minutes. You don’t want to cook it all the way since it will finish cooking in the oven after it’s been combined with the cheese. Drain and set aside.
- Grate the cheddar and gruyere cheeses into a large bowl. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the top of the grated cheese and toss to combine.,
- In a large pan (I used a 3.5-quart pan), melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once melted slowly whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour. Cook the butter and flour for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Slowly add in the milk and cream, about a cup at a time, while whisking continuously. Once all the milk and cream is added, turn up the heat and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Turn off the heat and add all but 1/4 cup of the cheese in, one handful at a time, while whisking. Once the cheese has been added and the sauce is smooth, stir in the chopped parsley.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Finally, add the roasted broccoli and stir. Pour the macaroni and cheese into an 8×8 square baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over the top. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the cheese has melted on top.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 842
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Sodium: 476.7mg
- Fat: 55.1g
- Saturated Fat: 29.7mg
- Unsaturated Fat: 21.1g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 60.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 30.3g
- Cholesterol: 145.1mg
Keywords: macaroni and cheese recipe, macaroni and cheese with broccoli
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.