Broccoli and cheese are a classic pair making this roasted broccoli macaroni & cheese an irresistible temptation.
Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Broccoli and cheese are a perfect pair, aren’t they? What is it about vegetables that make us want to slather cheese all over them? Oh, that’s right, it makes them taste better! I’ve learned to like broccoli all by itself, but stirred into a creamy, cheesy macaroni & cheese? Even better. We gotta live, right?
So if we’re going to smother our broccoli in cheese, can we just be okay with using real butter, cream, milk in our mac & cheese? I’ve made “skinny” versions before and, I’m sorry, it’s just not the same. I’d rather have the real deal and pass on the low fat (aka less satisfying) version, even if it means only making it once in a while. It’s all about moderation, isn’t it?
Let’s face it, what we really crave from mac and cheese is pasta coated with a rich and creamy cheese sauce, which only real cheese, cream, and butter can deliver. This version also has roasted broccoli, which adds a little something special – first, it provides a nice pop of color (and, hey, it’s healthy!), but it also adds a subtle caramelized flavor that complements the cheddar and gruyere cheeses nicely. A bowl of this mac & cheese will make your taste buds happy and make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
So make this with all the good stuff. You won’t regret it.
More Macaroni and Cheese RecipesPrint
Roasted Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
Decadent cheddar and gruyere macaroni & cheese with roasted broccoli. Great as a side dish or as a main course!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 ounces shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (either the cheddar or gruyere or a combo)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the broccoli florets in the olive oil and spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast the for 30 minutes, or until the broccoli starts to take on a light golden color around the edges. Once it’s done, set the pan aside and leave the oven on.
- While the broccoli is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the macaroni and boil following the package instructions. Drain it and set it aside.
- Move the pasta pot to a cool burner on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low. Melt the butter in the pot and then add the flour. Stir them together and cook the mixture for about a minute.
- Slowly add the milk and half and half while whisking. If lumps form, whisk until the mixture is smooth before adding more milk. Once you’ve added all of the milk and half and half, stir and warm the mixture until it’s steaming hot. Adjust the heat to medium, if needed, but don’t let the milk mixture boil.
- Add the shredded cheese in batches, whisking it until it melts into the sauce. Once the sauce is smooth, add the cooked pasta and roasted broccoli. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to an 8×8″ baking dish. Sprinkle one cup of shredded cheese over the top. Bake the macaroni and cheese at 400°F for ten minutes.
- Calories: 536
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 635.5mg
- Fat: 32.1g
- Saturated Fat: 16.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 39.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 23.7g
- Cholesterol: 81.5mg
Keywords: broccoli mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese with broccoli