Shrimp fajita bowls are a great dinner when you’re craving something light. The seasoned shrimp and bell peppers with cilantro lime rice is easy to make in about 30 minutes.
Warmer weather has arrived which, during any other “normal” time is totally welcomed but especially now during this “not so normal” time. I’ll take all the good news I can get these days and blue skies, warmish breezes, and tulips popping up are serving up some serious good vibes.
And these easy shrimp fajita bowls serve up all the good vibes, too. Colorful, light, and so easy-breezy to make they go perfectly with the current weather patterns. It’s a quick and easy recipe full of fresh flavors.
Shrimp Fajitas in a Bowl
Instead of wrapped up in tortillas, these shrimp fajitas are served up bowl-style with a side of cilantro-lime rice. It’s a small-batch recipe sized to serve two, but you can easily scale it up to serve more.
- I use frozen shrimp for this recipe because they’re convenient and you don’t have to peel and devein them yourself. They’re easy to thaw in a bowl of cold water – it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- There’s also some sliced bell peppers and red onion. Choose your favorite color peppers – I like to use a mix.
- The shrimp and peppers are seasoned with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and dried oregano. If you want to make it really easy use your favorite premade fajita seasoning instead.
- White rice is cooked in lime juice along with fresh cilantro. I usually start the rice first and while it cooks prepare the rest of the dish.
Cook the peppers and onions first in a hot pan and then cook the shrimp. Scoop some rice into a bowl, top with the seasoned shrimp and peppers and add your favorite fajita toppings like a scoop of guacamole or sour cream (or both!) and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
More Easy Recipes
- Salsa Verde Eggs
- Smoked Salmon Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Easy Ground Turkey Taco Bowls
- Cucumber Avocado Wraps
Did you make and love this recipe? Please leave a comment and star rating to tell let me know!Print
Seasoned shrimp with cilantro rice and fresh peppers. These fajita bowls are a light and easy dinner.
For the Rice
- Zest from 1/2 a lime
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Long grain white rice
For the Vegetables
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
For the Shrimp
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Combine the zest, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in a small saucepan. Following the rice package instructions, add enough rice and water for two servings. Cook according to package instructions until the rice is tender (about twenty minutes or so).
- Mix all of the spices for the shrimp in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat the shrimp.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften. Remove from the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and add the shrimp to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Divided the cooked rice between two bowls. Top with the peppers, onion, and shrimp. Garnish with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sautee
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 353
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Sodium: 1095.9mg
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49.7g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 28.3g
- Cholesterol: 182.5g
Keywords: shrimp fajitas, cilantro rice
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.
This post has been updated from the archives. First published in June 2017.