I’ve learned a couple important lessons the last few weeks: it is possible to pack on ten extra pounds in a short amount of time and it’s dumb to go on a junk food binge at age 40. I think there’s an age multiplier with the effects.
It all started two weeks ago when some of Steve’s family arrived from England to spend the week. Steve wasn’t so sure, but I insisted on stocking our pantry and fridge with Oreos, Totino’s Pizza Rolls, queso dip from a jar, and cans of Spaghetti O’s. Turns out Steve was right and they didn’t have a taste for all the salty, over-processed American snacky-treats.
But I did so I ate most of the delights myself.
It was an awesome and frightening week of eating.
So that explains how we’ve arrived at carrot soup. It’s a bit of a divergence from what I usually share and a much-needed one. A simple, wholesome soup made with fresh vegetables and just a hint of cilantro and lime to ease my taste buds out of junk-food mode. I hate the term “detox soup” because it seems so hippy-drippy and new-age, but that’s sort of what it is.
This carrot soup is the culinary equal of hitting the taste bud reset button.
💌 Never miss a recipe! Sign up for the Weekly Newsletter to get recipes straight to your inbox.Print
A simple carrot soup made with fresh vegetables and a hint a cilantro and lime. It’s great as a light starter for a meal, or alongside a salad or sandwich for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 pound carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1–2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup shaved or grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute the onion and celery until they start to soften, about five minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook it all another few minutes. Add 5 cups of water and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer the vegetables for 30 minutes.
- Add the cilantro. Using a stick blender, puree the vegetables until the soup is smooth. Season with salt (start with 1 teaspoon and add more to taste) and black pepper. Just before serving, add the lime juice. Top each serving with the cheese.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 770.9mg
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14.2g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 3.6mg
Keywords: carrot soup recipe
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.