This easy pasta recipe is my go-to dinner when there’s no time to cook. In Italy, it’s known as pasta aglio e olio, which means pasta with olive oil and garlic. A few simple ingredients like spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan are all you need!
Confession: When I find myself alone for dinner I often make bad choices. Sometimes it’s pizza, sometimes it’s fast-food procured from a drive-through window. And, yes, sometimes it’s ice cream.
In an attempt to thwart this bad behavior I’ve been thinking about easy dinners that can stand-up to the junk food cravings that seem to hit when I am left to my own devices for dinner.
Olive oil and garlic pasta is the perfect solution on nights when the bright lights of a fast-food chain beckons. It’s a super easy pasta recipe that takes no time at all to make, which means I have plenty of time to spend my evening alone catching up on
Real Housewives of New Jersey important current events.
- 2 ounces Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
If you don’t love super garlic-y pasta you may want to cut the garlic amount in half (or if you really love garlic chop up an extra clove!) – Remember, I enjoyed this while I was home alone for a week. I didn’t care if I reeked of garlic. Do whatever makes you happy because that’s what a dinner for one is all about, right?
How to Make Pasta with Olive Oil & Garlic
In the time it takes to boil the spaghetti you can have this easy pasta dish for one ready to go. It’s so fast and easy!
- First, warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic in the oil until it’s lightly golden and softened. It doesn’t take long so keep an eye on it and lower the heat if it’s browning too fast.
- Reserve a tablespoon of the starchy pasta water before you drain the pasta.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, along with the tablespoon of starchy pasta water, to the skillet and toss it with the garlic oil.
- Add the chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, toss it all again and serve!
Other Ways to Dress it Up
Part of the appeal of this olive oil and garlic pasta is that it’s very simple and so delicious! That said, there are ways to dress it up so here are some ideas:
- If you like a little heat add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes when you add the garlic to the oil.
- Add a little lemon zest when you add the hot spaghetti to the skillet. It will give it a pop of brightness.
- Switch up the herbs – add dried herbs like oregano, rosemary or Italian seasoning when you heat up the oil (1/4 of a teaspoon should be plenty!). Or, add some different fresh herbs like basil or thyme right before you serve it.
- Add a protein like cooked chicken or shrimp to make it more filling.
- Serve it with crusty bread and a fresh green salad on the side for a complete meal.
I hope you love this easy dinner for one as much as I do! This pasta with olive oil and garlic is one of my all-time favorite easy pasta recipes ❤ Here are a few more easy pasta recipes for one that I love to make, too!
💌 Never miss a recipe! Sign up for the Weekly Newsletter to get recipes straight to your inbox.Print
This olive oil and garlic pasta (or aglio e olio as it’s known in Italy) is my go-to dinner when I’m on my own. All it takes is a few simple ingredients and about 15 minutes to pull it together! This recipe serves one, but you can easily scale it up if you want a few more servings.
- 2 ounces (about 1/8 of box) spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- fresh ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Toss in the spaghetti and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, warm the olive oil over medium low heat. Add in the garlic and let it cook until soft and golden (you may need to lower the heat to keep it from browning too fast).
- Once the spaghetti is cooked drain it while reserving about 1 tablespoons of the starchy pasta water. Add the spaghetti to the pan with the oil and garlic. Toss the pasta around until it’s coated (this is where you can add in the starchy pasta water to keep the pasta moist if it looks too dry).
- Add in the parsley and grated cheese, toss to combine and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 494.1mg
- Fat: 23.6g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 44.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20.4g
- Cholesterol: 24.1mg
Keywords: pasta with olive oil and garlic, Aglio e Olio, easy pasta recipe
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.