Simple peanut butter oatmeal bars, topped with a drizzle of dark chocolate, that take only 30 minutes start to finish.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
While freezing my you-know-what off at 2 am in the Kansas City airport last week I promised I would never travel without snacks again.
It all started when I boarded my flight to Minneapolis last Wednesday for what I thought was a straight-foward trip: jump on a quick two and half hour flight, attend a two day workshop, jump back on a plane and be home Friday night. Thanks to a torrential thunderstorm we were diverted so instead of snuggling in my bed at the hotel Wednesday night I spent the night wrapped in cheap airline blankets at the Kansas City airport. Trapped at the airport I called my mom who suggested I find a cozy corner to sleep, but I’m sorry to report that no such place exists in an airport.
Baggage claim at 2 in the morning is a cold and foreboding place.
Several sleepless hours later I boarded a flight, grabbed a cab after landing in Minneapolis and arrived at the workshop just in time albeit starving and a bit frazzled. In end it was all fine and now I have a story to file away in the “Oh, yeah? Let me tell you about the worst flight experience I ever had” file.
So, yes, next time there will be snacks.
Are you even allowed to carry your own snacks through security?
Let’s hope so because next time I’m making a batch of these peanut butter oatmeal bars to carry with me on the plane.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Bittersweet Chocolate
This recipe makes a small batch but doubles if eight bars is not enough. All you need is about 10 minutes to mix the ingredients together using just one bowl, twenty minutes for them to bake, and enough patience to allow them to cool before slicing. They’re delicious as is, but I couldn’t help but add a little decadent chocolate drizzle to go with all the wholesomeness.
Um, yeah. If I’m ever stuck in an airport again I’ll want that chocolate drizzle.
More Sweet SnacksPrint
Simple oatmeal bars with peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, and a drizzle of melted chocolate over the top.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees and line an 8×8 square baking dish with tin foil.
- Mix all of the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a large bowl. Scoop the oatmeal batter into the lined baking dish and press it into an even layer. Bake it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven. Remove the oatmeal bars from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Once cooled slice into bars.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bars.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 19.8g
- Fat: 21.9g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 10.4g
Keywords: peanut butter oatmeal bars, homemade granola bars