There are times for one-pot/one-pan/one-sheet pan dinners that take care of the main dish and side in one go, but sometimes – like when steaks or chops or baked chicken are on the menu – it’s nice to have a stand-alone side dish to pass around the table. It’s also nice if that side is low-maintenance and so we have just that today: stovetop skillet mushrooms and broccoli with pancetta and balsamic vinegar.
Skillet Mushrooms and Broccoli
You could add some chicken and call this skillet mushrooms and broccoli side a stir-fry – albeit an Italian-style stir-fry thanks to some balsamic vinegar and crispy pancetta – but, really, it’s a side dish. When you have a main course that needs oven time – like roast chicken or baked pork chops – it’s nice to have a simple side up your sleeve that comes together easily on the stovetop.
And it came to be mostly by accident. A container of cremini mushrooms and a couple leftover bunches of broccoli caught my eye the other day as I scanned the fridge for something to make and it was only after I was digging in I remembered the mushrooms were actually on hold for a stew I planned to make later in the week. A small bubble of exasperation floated to the surface upon that realization, but then popped when I remembered sometimes things are meant to be. The tender mushrooms and broccoli coated in a splash of balsamic were exactly what I wanted in that moment and I figured an extra trip to the store to replace the mushrooms was a small price to pay.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Diced pancetta. Look for it in the deli section at the grocery store. Or, if you can’t find it, substitute the same amount of bacon.
- Broccoli florets and whole cremini mushrooms quartered or halved depending on their size.
- Cook the pancetta first followed by the vegetables. Add the balsamic vinegar and it not only adds lots of flavor to the vegetables but also makes it easy to scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- I tossed in some chopped parsley at the end, but basil would also be great. Or both!
More Easy Side DishesPrint
This is a low-maintenance side dish in that there are just a few ingredients and all it really needs is some time on the stove (about 20 minutes) and the occasional stir. It starts with pancetta and from there the mushrooms and broccoli cook down until they are tender. Some balsamic adds a vinegary punch.
- 2 ounces diced pancetta
- 4-5 cups Broccoli florets (about two broccoli crowns)
- 8 ounces whole cremini mushrooms, large ones quartered and medium ones halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook the pancetta over medium heat in a 10-inch skillet until it’s released its fat and turns crispy. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir. Cook it all for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Push some of the broccoli and mushrooms to the side to expose the bottom of the pan. Add the balsamic and scrape up the browned bits. Add the salt and cook it all another 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Add the chopped parsley and serve.
- Calories: 126
- Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 6.6g