Hearty Veggie Soup with White Beans and Kale
I first shared this veggie soup with white beans and kale during my first year of blogging, way back in 2009. It’s been on my to-do list for a while because the recipe is great, but the original post and photos needed updating. I adapted the recipe from Fine Cooking and it’s full of good-for-you things and is a cozy lunch on a chilly day.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Red onion
- Cannellini beans
- Chicken Stock
- Fresh lemon juice
Most of the work is in the prep and the soup only needs less than an hour on the stove until the veggies are tender. I like to make a batch to keep on hand for easy lunches – add some bread or a simple sandwich on the side to make it a meal.
More Soup RecipesPrint
This hearty veggie soup with white beans and kale is simple to make and is sure to warm you through on a chilly day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about one cup)
- 4 small carrots, peeled and cut into coins (about a cup and a half)
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook them until they start to soften. Add the carrots and celery. Cook it all for about five minutes or so. Add the kale and let it cook down, another five minutes or so.
- Add the beans, parsley, salt, and pepper and give it all a good stir. Add the chicken stock, bring the pot to a simmer. Simmer the soup for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Stir in the lemon juice, ladle into bowls, garnish with the cheese, and serve.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 11.8g
- Sodium: 1237.4mg
- Fat: 13.6g
- Carbohydrates: 51.8g
- Fiber: 11.9g
- Protein: 21.6g
Keywords: vegetable soup