I call this a power salad because it’s packed with good-for-you greens, chicken, citrus, and sweet and smokey cashews. Topped with some feta cheese it’s a delicious summer salad.
A few weeks ago on an uncomfortably hot Saturday afternoon, we grabbed lunch at Milltown and, in an unusual turn of events, I ordered a salad. If you follow me on Instagram you might have seen the photo – it was a big plate of greens with some cabbage, orange segments, cashews, red pepper, cheese, and grilled chicken that was all tossed in a citrus dressing. It was a random mix of ingredients, but altogether was light, refreshing, and the perfect bite on a hot summer’s day.
This salad was the reason I made the sweet and smokey cashews that I shared a few days ago – they bring a savory crunch that goes really well with the citrus flavors in the rest of the salad.
Because this seems like just a random mix of stuff all tossed together on a plate it’s hard to know what to call it. All of it is good-for-you-stuff so Power Salad made sense. If you make a batch of cashews and grill some chicken ahead of time it’s easy enough to pull it all together for a quick lunch during the week.
💌 Sign up and get your free guide: Gourmet Made Simple: 5 Secrets for Making Fancy (but Not Fussy!) Meals delivered to your inbox!
More Lunch Recipes
- Bacon Blue Cheese Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 10-Minute Tomato Basil Soup
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Salad Wraps
This salad is inspired by one I had at a restaurant called Milltown in Carrboro, NC and is a refreshing lunch packed with greens, chicken, citrus, and cashews.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Generous handful of fresh spinach
- Generous handful of fresh arugula
- 1 small handful of thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet and smoky cashews
- 1 orange, sliced into segments
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 4 ounces of sliced grilled chicken
- In a medium bowl first whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt together.
- Add the spinach, arugula, and cabbage and toss them in the dressing.
- Top with the red pepper, cashews, orange segments, grilled chicken, and feta.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 231.4g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 27.9g
- Cholesterol: 67.3g
Keywords: chicken salad with cashews,
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.