This creamy roasted cauliflower soup with a cranberry turkey grilled cheese is like Thanksgiving dinner served up soup and sandwich-style. It’s cozy, comforting and just one of the small-scale comfort-food inspired recipes in my new cookbook, Gourmet Cooking for One or Two.
Soup and Grilled Cheese
The last chapter in my cookbook, Gourmet Cooking for One or Two, happens to be the first chapter I worked on when I set out to organize all of the ideas and thoughts that I hoped beyond hope would somehow fall into a place in the form of a book with a cover and back cover and pages in between. That was just over a year ago and it’s hard to believe that all of those thoughts and ideas are now printed, bound, and an actual thing that people can buy. In fact, it’s a thing people can buy now because today is the official release of my book. My hands are shaking just a bit as I type this news.
So, it’s fitting that I share one of the first recipes I scribbled on a piece of paper. When I set out to write a book about small-scale comfort food I knew I had to include a chapter on soup, chilis, and stews because, for me, a bowl of delicious soup is one of my favorite ways to get my cozy on. Add a grilled cheese sandwich alongside that bowl of soup and I’m in comfort food heaven. Combine that soup and grilled cheese with the flavors of Thanksgiving, also known as the comfort food Olympics, and you get a dinner that is so much more than the sum of its parts. In other words, it’s some major nostalgia served up soup and sandwich-style.
And now the day is here, otherwise known as book release day, and this cranberry turkey grilled cheese with a side of roasted cauliflower soup is just one of ten small-batch soup recipes in my book along with four other chapters filled with small-scale comfort food recipes. I hope you’ll check it out!
Gourmet Cooking for One or Two: Incredible Meals that are Small in Size but Big in Flavor
Available at these Retailers:
More Recipes from the Book
This recipe is like Thanksgiving dinner in soup and sandwich form, complete with homemade cranberry sauce, turkey and a mashed potato-inspired creamy cauliflower soup. And as with any great soup and grilled cheese combo, don’t be afraid to do a little sandwich dunking for the best experience.
For the Soup
- 1 (10-oz [284 g]) head of cauliflower, broken into 1″ (2.5-cm) florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp (10 g) kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (76 g) chopped onion
- 2 tsp (6 g) chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups (592 ml) vegetable stock
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
For the Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) frozen cranberries
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (28 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 g) Dijon mustard
- 4 slices country white bread
- 4 oz (115 g) thin-sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- To make the soup, spread the cauliflower florets in an even layer on a baking sheet. Coat the cauliflower evenly with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oil and season it with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the cauliflower over on the sheet pan and continue to roast it for another 15 minutes, or until it’s fork tender.
- In a 3 1/2-quart (3-L) saucepan, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the oregano and stir. Add the roasted cauliflower and vegetable stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree the soup using an immersion blender, add the lemon juice and simmer it over medium-low heat while you make the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- To make the sandwiches, first cook the frozen cranberries and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the cranberries have warmed through, add the honey. Stir to combine and use a potato masher to mash the cranberries. Cook the sauce for 1 minute, or until it has thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Divide the mayonnaise and mustard between 2 bread slices and spread them into an even layer on each. Top the bread with the turkey and 2 slices of cheese for each sandwich. Spread the cranberry sauce on the other 2 slices of bread.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden and crispy.
- Add the cream to the soup and stir to combine. Serve the soup, sprinkled with the parsley, with the sandwiches on the side.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted cauliflower soup, turkey grilled cheese, soup and grilled cheese recipe