Warm steak salad with mushrooms takes just 30 minutes to make and is loaded with fresh flavors. Tender sirloin over fresh spinach and parsley with a quick balsamic dressing makes for a hearty and filling salad! This is an easy recipe that’s great for a weeknight dinner.
There are salads and then there are hearty salads which is just an easier way to say “a salad that is a meal on its own”. I much prefer the hearty versions and this steak salad is one of my favorites.
Easy Steak Salad
- Tender sirloin is paired with sauteed mushrooms – a combination that is pretty much the best thing ever.
- They’re piled on a bed of fresh spinach and parsley along with sliced red onions that give it a little crunch and punch of flavor.
- The balsamic vinaigrette is super simple and pulls the whole thing together.
- Oh, and there is cheese because what’s salad without cheese? A restrictive diet, I say. So, there’s a sprinkling of tangy feta to finish it off.
The combination of textures and flavors in this salad are delicious. Plus, it’s ready to serve in about 30 minutes.
- Olive oil
- Cremini mushrooms
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Sirloin steak
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Minced garlic
- Roughly chopped spinach
- Chopped parsley
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Crumbled feta cheese
How to Make It
Saute the mushrooms in a skillet with some olive oil. Once the have released their moistutre and are nicely browned take them out of the pan.
Cook the steak in the same pan over medium high heat until it’s it’s cooked to your preferred doneness. I like it medium to medium-rare.
Slice the steak into thin slices against the grain and then make the dressing by whisking balsamic vinegar with mustard, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Pile the spinach, onions, and parsley on a plate (or divide between two bowls). Top with the mushrooms, steak, and cheese. Add the dressing and enjoy!
Some Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Cook the mushrooms first, and then cook the steak in the same pan. Once the steak is done, let it rest while you assemble the rest of the salad.
- To make dressing the salad easy, sometimes I make the dressing first in a large bowl. You can then pile all of the spinach and parsley on top of it and toss to combine.
- You can also use flank steak or strip steak to make this salad. Also, you can slice the steak into strips or cut it into bite-sized pieces to make it easier to eat.
- Use whatever lettuce you have one hand – romaine lettuce, iceberg, arugula, spring greens… or use a mix of several different kinds.
- Switch the feta cheese for goat cheese or blue cheese crumbles to switch things up.
- The dressing is so simple to make, but feel free to substitute store-bought salad dressing to make it even easier.
This steak salad recipe is simple but effective and a delicious and easy way to have steak for dinner. I hope you love it!
More Salad RecipesPrint
Steak Salad with Mushrooms
Sauteed mushrooms and warm steak served on a bed of fresh spinach and parsley. It’s a salad that’s both hearty and fresh and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sear
- Cuisine: American
For the Mushrooms & Steak
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (6-oz) sirloin steak, seasoned with salt and pepper
For the Salad
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the mushrooms: Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and salt and stir to coat them in the oil. Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their moisture and are golden brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a clean plate.
- Cook the steak: In the same pan, you used to cook the mushrooms add two teaspoons of olive oil. Turn the heat to medium-high and, once the pan is hot, place the steak in the pan. Cook the steak for three to four minutes on one side before flipping it over and cooking it for another few minutes on the other side or until it’s cooked to your desired doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board or plate to rest.
- Make the salad: Combine the balsamic, mustard, garlic, salt, and paper in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and whisk until it’s combined with the other ingredients. Add the spinach, parsley, and onion and gently toss them with the dressing.
- To serve: Divide the salad between two plates. Thinly slice the steak and place it on the greens. Top with the mushrooms and feta cheese.
Tips for Cooking the Steak: I prefer my steak on the medium-rare side of things, so if you prefer a different temperature you may need to cook it for a longer or shorter time. I recommend using a meat thermometer and taking your steak out of the pan once it’s about five degrees lower than your target doneness as it will continue to cook as it rests.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 2961.5mg
- Fat: 30.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 21.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 26.8g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: steak salad with mushrooms, mushroom salad recipe
Post and photos updated from the archives. First published in August 2018.