Tomato & Pickled Beet Salad
People, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner.
It’s best to start preparing now.
If you are in need of a festive, tasty holiday starter/side-dish then definitely give this one a try. Of course, the color combo makes this salad great holiday eye-candy and its freshness is the perfect complement to traditional, rich holiday main dishes. The sour earthiness of the beets contrasts nicely with the fresh tomatoes and peppery arugula. A little drizzle of balsamic and a sprinkling of feta finishes it off. It’s also easy to either make ahead or toss together quickly for those last minute holiday parties and gatherings.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Grape or cherry tomatoes: Tomatoes aren’t at their best during the cold weather months, so I find that cherry or grape tomatoes are the best option year-round.
- Pickled beets: Look for pickled beets near the other jarred pickles, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. I like to cut the slices into smaller pieces, but be warned: the liquid that the beets are stored in will stain everything bright pink if its spilled, so be careful with the jar.
- Crumbled feta cheese: Or, crumbled goat cheese would work well, too!
- Balsamic vinegar: I like salads lightly dressed, so you only need a few teaspoons of vinegar along with some olive oil. Feel free to adjust to your tastes!
💌 Sign up and get your free guide: Gourmet Made Simple: 5 Secrets for Making Fancy (but Not Fussy!) Meals delivered to your inbox!
More Salad RecipesPrint
This simple salad packs a lot of flavor – it’s great year-round, but the colors are perfect for special holiday meals. I like to serve it as a side, so this recipe makes enough for four people if there are other side dishes being served.
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 sliced pickled beets (see note), halved
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- In a large bowl whisk the olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. Add the diced tomatoes, pickled beets, arugula, and salt. Toss it all together.
- Top each serving with some feta cheese and enjoy!
Look for jars of pickled beets near the other pickles in the grocery store.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 415.1mg
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 3.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 8.3mg
Keywords: tomato salad, arugula salad, holiday salad
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.