This warm and cozy cinnamon apple coffee cake, topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping, is guaranteed to make your morning happy.
Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is my excuse to eat cake at 9 am and have no guilt whatsoever. Having a slice of apple-kissed cake topped with a crunchy brown sugar butter topping alongside my morning cup of joe is what I call an excellent start to the day, and, friends, I encourage you to do the same.
And while the moist and cinnamon spiced apple cake can stand all on it’s own it’s the topping that takes it over the top. It melts over the cake as it bakes creating all sorts of craggy nooks and crannies and underneath is the soft apple cake.
That topping. It’s my favorite part.
I consider this a small batch coffee cake because it’s baked in a loaf pan and serves four. This means there’s no leftovers, which can be a good thing, although it’s also a bad thing because there are no leftovers. I can’t decide.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- I used sweetened applesauce in the batter and it may be my new favorite ingredient for breakfast baked goods. It provides a light apple flavor and tons of moisture. No dry coffee cake here.
- Cinnamon is a coffee cake classic – it’s in the batter and the topping.
- Other fun baking ingredients like flour, sugar, an egg, butter, vanilla, and baking soda.
So get the coffee brewing and fill your kitchen with the warm and cozy scents of baked apple, cinnamon, sugar and butter.
More Ways to have Cake for Breakfast!Print
Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the applesauce, melted butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until just combined and pour the batter into a loaf pan.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the cubed butter and, using your hands, cut the butter into the flour and sugar until it’s incorporated. Sprinkle the topping over the top of the apple bread batter.
- Bake the cake for 30-40 minutes or until and inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake for 15 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack. Once cooled, slice into eight pieces and serve.