This green apple smoothie is so refreshing and a great afternoon treat or quick breakfast to start the day. It takes just five minutes to make and is full of fresh apples, spinach, banana, and a pop of ginger.
Table of contents
And we interrupt the day to introduce this green apple smoothie. It’s fresh, it’s bright, and it’s the perfect glass of freshness to combat the day’s grogginess, hangriness, or other less than desirable mood states.
This is my smoothie of choice when life gets to be – how should we say – a lot. I’ve made it in the morning to start the day on the right foot, but I especially love it in the afternoon to combat the 3 o’clock slump.
So, if you’re like me and find yourself a little slumpy at times, I hope you’ll give this green apple smoothie a try. It’s fresh, bright, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients.
Green Apple Smoothie Ingredients
Five minutes, six ingredients, and a blender are all you need. Like all smoothie recipes, it’s customizable based on your tastes so feel free to adjust the amounts.
- Frozen banana
- Granny Smith apple cored and cut into chunks
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh lemon juice
- Ginger paste
Pop it all on the blender and give it a whirr until it’s smooth and creamy.
Apple Smoothie Tips and Tricks
- In case you’re wondering, you can’t taste the fresh spinach in this smoothie. It tastes like apples with a zing from the ginger. You can also swap the spinach for other leafy greens like kale.
- This recipe makes enough for one smoothie, but you can easily scale it up to serve more.
- I don’t recommend blending the ingredients ahead and storing the smoothie in the refrigerator. It tastes best straight out of the blender.
- I’ve made this smoothie with chia seeds and they work well. I usually add a couple teaspoons. You could also add some flax seed.
- For the milk, I use 2% milk but you can use any kind of milk you like including dairy-free milk like unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk or oat milk.
- I like thinner smoothies, but you can thicken it up with a spoonful of Greek yogurt.
- I love to add ginger to my smoothies because it adds a pop of brightness and zing. I add a teaspoon, but you can adjust the amount to suit your tastes or leave it out.
- This spinach apple smoothie is pretty tart, so if you want to mellow it a bit feel free to add a sweetener like a little bit of honey, agave syrup, or a touch of maple syrup to balance it out.
This green smoothie recipe is a great start to the day. I hope you give it a try!
More Easy Smoothie Recipes
- Another one I love to make is my Cranberry Smoothie with pomegranate, fresh-squeezed orange juice and honey.
- Or, try my Pineapple Smoothie – it’s like a little glass of sunshine.
- If you love frozen coffee drinks you have to try my Mocha Smoothie. It’s rich and chocolatey with no refined sugar.
- My Strawberry Avocado Smoothie is rich and creamy. You can’t taste the avocado but it adds so much goodness!
- Or try this Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie from The Recipe Rebel.
Green Apple Smoothie
This simple green smoothie with banana, green apples, and spinach is refreshingly tart and a great way to start the day.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 smoothie 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sliced frozen bananas
- 1 small (5-oz) granny smith apple, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (see note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 2% milk (see note)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk to thin the smoothie, if needed.
I love ginger, so if you want it a little less zingy you might want to cut the amount of ginger in half. For the milk, you can use pretty much whatever you like – almond milk, soy milk, whole milk or even half & half (if you want it a little richer) will work great. The nutrition estimate includes 2% milk.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 41.2g
- Sodium: 119.7mg
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 9.8mg
Keywords: apple smoothie, green smoothie recipe, apple banana smoothie
Post updated from the archives. First published December 2019.