A rich and chocolatey banana mocha smoothie with no refined sugar. It’s a naturally sweet treat for the morning or afternoon when you need a little pick-me-up.
Banana Mocha Smoothie
This four-ingredient(!) banana mocha smoothie is a new and improved morning/afternoon cool and creamy treat now that the summertime weather is here. It serves two purposes: 1) it satisfies cravings for something sweet with no refined sugar and 2) it keeps me from stopping at a certain coffee drink drive-through and ordering what used to be my go-to sweet pick-me-up that’s loaded with sugar. And when I say “new and improved” I mean it’s an adaptation of an old smoothie favorite of almost the same name. The green mocha smoothie I shared a few years ago has a few more ingredients and this banana mocha smoothie is simpler and less sweet. That said, I still love the original so it shall stay and this scaled-down banana mocha smoothie will join it in the smoothie recipe line-up. There’s room for both.
Four Simple Ingredients
- Cold-brewed coffee: cold-brewed coffee is less bitter than regular brewed coffee that’s been chilled. You can make your own or look for bottles of it at your grocery store – my regular store has several brands to choose from, but be sure to buy plain cold-brew coffee and not a sweetened flavored one. All that said, you can use regular-brewed coffee if you don’t mind the extra bitterness – just be sure to cool it to room temperature or pop it in the fridge before using.
- Frozen Bananas: You can freeze banana slices yourself or look for bags of frozen banana slices in the frozen section.
- Milk: I use whole milk for this smoothie, but you can substitute a lower fat milk or almond milk to save on calories.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: It makes this smoothie extra chocolatey and rich – almost like dark chocolate – and I find the bananas add just enough sweetness so no added sugar is needed.
Make it in the morning for a chocolatey breakfast treat or whizz one up in the afternoon for a little pick-me-up. Either way, it’s a cool and creamy way to get a coffee-chocolate fix.
More Easy Breakfast RecipesPrint
4-Ingredient Banana Mocha Smoothie
This smoothie is an easy way to get a chocolate-coffee fix when you need a little pick-me-up. The process is simple – add the ingredients to a blender and process – but I’ve also added some notes so you can adapt it to make it your own.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee
- 8 ounces sliced frozen bananas
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
Cold brewed coffee is less bitter than hot brewed coffee, although you can use your regular morning-brewed coffee. Just be sure to let it cool to room temperature or pop it in the fridge to chill. Or, look for bottles of cold brewed coffee (so much easier than doing it yourself), which is what I buy these days for my DIY cold coffee drinks. While you’re at the store buying your cold brew coffee go ahead and pick up a bag of frozen banana slices, too. I sometimes buy fresh bananas, slice, and freeze them for smoothies (see my pineapple smoothie recipe for more details), but the pre-sliced frozen ones make smoothie-making so much easier. I love using whole milk for smoothies these days, but you can substitute a lower-fat milk or almond milk if you want to cut back on the calories. Because there’s no added sugar in this smoothie the chocolate tastes a lot like dark chocolate – rich with a touch of bitterness, which I happen to love. The bananas add just enough sweetness but feel free to dial back the chocolate or add some white sugar or honey to taste if you want it a little sweeter.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 23.2g
- Sodium: 81.3mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 18.3mg
Keywords: chocolate smoothie, banana smoothie, coffee smoothie