This light Caprese Chicken Pasta is loaded with fresh flavors and ready in 30 minutes. Balsamic chicken tossed with pasta, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil is always a weeknight favorite during the summer.
If you’ve ever had a Caprese salad – a classic Italian salad made with just fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil with just a drizzle of olive oil over the top – you are going to love this Caprese pasta.
It takes that simple salad and turns it into an easy weeknight dinner with the addition of pasta, chicken, and balsamic. The flavors are fresh, the prep is pretty easy, and it’s one of my favorite summer pasta dishes.
What I love best about it is that it’s light. There’s no heavy sauce – the pasta is just lightly coated with olive oil so that the flavor from the tomatoes and herbs really shines through. It’s meant to be served warm, not hot, so it’s perfect for a summer night.
If you have about 30 minutes, I highly recommend treating yourself to this caprese chicken pasta. I think you’re going to love it!
- Farfalle – Or use penne or other short pasta shape that you like.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – I like to pound them out to about 1 to 1/2 inches thick so they cook evenly.
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic glaze – This is just balsamic vinegar that has been cooked until this thick and syrupy. Look for it at the grocery store where the other vinegars are. I like Bertolli brand.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes – If you have some bigger garden tomatoes on hand, go ahead and chop them up to use in this recipe.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – You can buy and cut a large ball into bite-size pieces. Or look for pearls which are mini fresh mozzarella balls.
- Chopped fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
I like to boil the pasta in a large pot until al dente and, while it cooks, make the balsamic chicken. Just season the chicken with salt and pepper, cook it in a large skillet with olive oil, and then brush it with the balsamic glaze.
Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set it aside.
In the same pan, warm up a little more olive oil and then add the cooked pasta, tomatoes, cheese, chicken, and basil. Stir it all just until the ingredients are warmed up and well combined.
For garnish, drizzle some balsamic glaze over the top and add a sprinkle of basil.
- Variations: Add a few pinches of red pepper flakes if you want some heat. Love cheese? I think some grated Parmesan cheese over the top for serving would be delicious.
- Leftovers: If you have extra, store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can warm them up in the microwave or enjoy them cold from the fridge like a pasta salad.
If you’re craving light and fresh, this caprese chicken pasta is for you. I hope you try it soon!
Happy summer cooking,
More Chicken Pasta Recipes
- Southwestern Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- Pesto Chicken Pasta
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe, along with your recipe star rating.Print
Caprese Chicken Pasta
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces farfalle
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to a thickness of 1 to 1 1/2 inches
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons store-bought balsamic glaze
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces small fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-sized pieces (or use mini mozzarella balls)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- Optional garnishes: balsamic glaze and chopped basil
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions and then drain it. While the pasta boils, cook the chicken in a separate pan.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken in the pan on one side until it’s golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook it on the other side until the internal temperature is 165°F. Brush the chicken with half of the glaze, turn it over in the pan and let it cook for a few seconds. Brush the rest of the glaze on the top, turn the chicken, and let it cook for a few seconds and then take it out of the pan.
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set it aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet you used to cook the chicken. Heat it over medium-low heat. Add the cooked pasta, balsamic chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Stir for about a minute to warm up the ingredients. Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of basil for garnish.
- Calories: 455
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 423.6,g
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 50.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 42.5g
- Cholesterol: 87.8mg
Keywords: balsamic chicken pasta, caprese pasta recipe, caprese pasta with chicken
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.