Perfect for game day or other get-to-togethers, these Honey BBQ Chicken meatballs are everything you love about chicken wings with no mess!
BBQ Chicken Meatballs
I know, let’s make an appetizer that has all the great things we love about chicken wings – sticky sauce, flavorful chicken, and some kind of dipping sauce – but do it in a way that doesn’t leave our hands, faces, clothes, and couches stained with all of those things that we love about them.
So put the wet naps away because these honey BBQ chicken meatballs will save your clothes, your couch, and maybe your ego. Don’t we all have fears of being that person with chicken wing sauce smeared on our face? Only to discover it, much later at home, long after the party, and then spend the next five years agonizing over the embarrassment and the recurring thought of “why didn’t anyone tell me?”
Seriously, let’s do everyone a favor and make these equally-as-delicious-yet-so-much-easier-to-eat tasty bites.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground chicken
- Things to make the meatballs like an egg, bread crumbs, onions, and garlic.
- Jarred BBQ sauce. I used Stubb’s Original BBQ Sauce and doctored it up with some honey and lemon.
- Ranch dressing for dipping!
These little BBQ chicken meatball bites are addictive!
💌 Never miss a recipe! Sign up for the Weekly Newsletter to get recipes straight to your inbox.
More Appetizer IdeasPrint
All the things you love about BBQ chicken wings, but meatball style!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (see note)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup ranch dressing, for dipping (optional)
- In a large bowl combine the egg, 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the ground chicken and mix until just combined. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture to form each meatball.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the meatballs and brown them on all sides. Depending on the size of your pan you may need to do this in batches. Once browned all over remove the meatballs and set aside.
- In the same pan, pour in the BBQ sauce and bring to a boil. Scrape up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan using a spatula or wooden spoon. Add the lemon juice and honey. Stir the sauce and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and gently roll them around to get them fully coated. Let them cook a few more minutes just until they are cooked through (you can always cut into one to make sure it’s not pink inside). Serve them with ranch dressing on the side.
I used Stubb’s Original BBQ sauce, which I think can be found at most grocery stores.
Nutrition estimates do not include the ranch dressing for serving.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 meatball
- Calories: 62
- Sugar: 5.g
- Sodium: 150.1mg
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 22.9mg
Keywords: BBQ chicken meatballs, ground chicken meatball recipe
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.