These apple & sage pork sausage rolls are so addictive and great for entertaining!
Apple & Sage Pork Sausage Rolls
I first shared this sausage roll recipe back in December 2014 and I intended to share it again with you in December 2018, ideally before the holidays, because these savory bites of pork sausage wrapped in puff pastry make for a wonderful holiday appetizer. But, as it often does between December 1st and January 1st, time ran away in a blur of holiday festivities and so I come to you today, mid-January 2019, with sausage rolls and a suggestion that they are quite versatile and serve not just as a holiday-only snack, but also a January appetizer suitable for any kind of weekend get-together, holiday or otherwise.
How to Make Sausage Rolls
What I love best about these sausage rolls are that they are delicious warm from the oven, at room temperature, and even cold straight from the fridge. Plus, they’re easy to make – here’s what you need…
- Look for pork sausage in the meat department. If you use links, be sure to remove the casings.
- Combine the pork sausage with diced apples, parsley, and sage.
- You’ll need two sheets of frozen puff pastry that has been thawed.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into thirds so you have three equal-sized strips.
- Divide the pork mixture into six equal-sized parts.
- Using one part of the sausage mixture, lay it in the middle of one of the puff pastry strips leaving room around the edges. Brush the edges with an egg wash.
- Pull the edges of the puff pastry so that they cover the sausage. Press the edges together to seal them.
- Cut the roll into eight pieces and repeat the process with the rest of the sausage and puff pastry. You will end up with 48 sausage rolls.
- Bake the sausage rolls at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
Tasty bite-sized pork sausage rolls with apple and sage – make extra because these will disappear fast!
- 2 sheets puff pastry (I box), thawed
- 1 pound pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely diced granny smith apple (about 1/2 an apple)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- In a medium bowl mix the pork with the herbs, salt and pepper, and diced apple. In a small bowl beat the egg and milk together.
- Unfold both puff pastry sheets and cut each into thirds (follow the perforations). Divide the pork mixture into 6 equal parts. Roll the divided pork into sausage shapes, equal to the length of the puff pastry strip. Lay each sausage in the middle of each puff pastry strip.
- Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg and milk mixture. Wrap the puff pastry around the sausage. Lightly press the seams to seal. Brush the top of each roll with the egg and milk mixture.
- Cut each roll in half, then each half in half, then each quarter in half until you have 8 equal pieces. Place the sausage rolls about an inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 sausage roll
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.4g
Keywords: sausage rolls, puff pastry sausage rolls