This Poblano Black Bean Rice and Chicken Bowl (one of many easy recipes in my new cookbook!) is a quick 30-minute dinner for one. Learn more about my book and get a sneak peek of the recipe at the end of the post!
Cookbook Sneak Peak
If you’ve been following along you know that just a few weeks ago I shared a big secret I’d been keeping for over a year. The secret being that after almost 10 years of doing this online recipe sharing and food writing thing I wrote a cookbook – a real buy-it-at-a-bookstore and hold-it-in-your-hands book that is full of small-scale comfort-food inspired recipes that are a nod to my Wyoming roots and the places I’ve lived and visited over the last decade. Over the course of about 18 months, I collaborated with my editor at Page Street Publishing on the book concept, developed the recipes, tested (and tested, tested, tested) them, photographed the final dishes, and wrote and deleted and wrote again until all the words made sense (all 30,000ish of them not that I’m counting or anything). It’s available for pre-order now and we’re just a few short weeks until it’s released, so there’s no better time than the present to share another sneak peek recipe.
Poblano Black Bean Rice and Chicken Bowl
I already shared my Summer Squash Tortellini Bake recipe from the book – a cozy two-serving baked pasta dish – a few weeks ago and, as promised, I’m following up with another sneak peek which is an easy 30-minute Poblano Black Bean Rice Bowl with Chicken recipe for one. The rice is loaded with fresh poblano peppers, black beans, red onion, cilantro, and spices and topped with a super simple pan-cooked chicken breast. It’s one of 17 (!) recipes in the 30-Minute Single Serving Dinners chapter which you can read more about on my Cookbook page (plus all sorts of other info about the book!) or click on through to the retailers below to learn more (and place your own copy!)…
Gourmet Cooking for One or Two: Incredible Meals that are Small in Size but Big in Flavor
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- It starts with diced poblano peppers and red onion that you cook in some olive oil just until they start to soften. Add some chili powder and chicken stock and bring it all to a boil before adding the rice. From there it simmers until the rice is tender.
- Add the black beans, lime juice, and cilantro just at the end to warm them through.
- While the rice is cooking prepare the chicken. Pound it to an even thickness and season it with salt and chili powder. Cook it in some olive oil for a few minutes, slice it, and serve it over the rice. It’s delicious as is, but feel free to top the bowl with your favorite burrito toppings like sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
Happy bowl-making 😊
Like a burrito without the tortilla, this dish features rice loaded with spices, fresh poblano peppers, black beans, and a simple pan-cooked chicken breast. Serve it as is or dress it up with your favorite burrito toppings like sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (85 g) finely chopped poblano pepper
- 1/4 cup (38 g) chopped red onion
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup (235 ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (53 g) long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup (120 g) drained and rinsed canned black beans
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- 1 (4-oz [115-g]) boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1/2″ (1.4 cm) thick
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- To make the rice, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 2-quart (2-L) saucepan. Add the pepper, onion, and salt. Cook the vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the chili powder and chicken stock. Adjust the heat to bring the stock to a boil, add the rice and stir to combine. Adjust the heat to maintain a strong simmer and cook the rice, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Add the black beans, lime juice and cilantro. Cook the rice for 5 minutes, or until it’s tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- While the rice cooks, make the chicken. First, season the chicken on both sides with the chili powder and salt. In an 8 1/2-inch (22-cm) skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook it for 4 to 5 minutes on the first side. Turn it and cook the other side for 5 more minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F (74°C). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cover it loosely with foil until the rice is finished cooking.
- To serve, slice the chicken into 1/4-inch (6-mm) slices and place it on top of the rice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 13.7g
- Fat: 16.8g
- Carbohydrates: 71.2g
- Fiber: 13.7g
- Protein: 42.9g
Keywords: black bean rice, chicken and rice recipe