30-minute BBQ chicken wraps with bacon, pineapple, and mozzarella cheese. They’re like a Hawaiian pizza, but in hand-held form making them so easy to make and eat.
Tropical BBQ Chicken Wraps
I’m pretty sure it was a craving for Hawaiian pizza that led to these chicken wraps and, in hindsight, maybe calling them Hawaiian chicken wraps would have been better, but the word “tropical” just seems right to me. The spring weather is hinting at warmer days ahead and has me in a restless “is it almost summer?” frame of mind. So, these are tropical bbq chicken wraps and a nod to the pizza that inspired them complete with pineapple, bacon, and mozzarella cheese.
Some Notes and Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Big flour tortillas, as in tortillas that are at least 10-inches big and, depending on the brand, they might be called burrito-sized tortillas. If you don’t happen to have a measuring tape with you at the store and accidentally buy smaller tortillas it’s all okay. You’ll just use less filling and use more tortillas and get more than four wraps, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Pineapple: Look for pre-cut fresh pineapple in the produce department. I like to cut the chunks into a small dice before adding them to the sauce. That way you get the pineapple flavor in each bite.
- Store-bought BBQ sauce: Pick your favorite! I like Stubb’s Original BBQ sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese
- After I made the wraps, I placed them on a hot grill pan to get the marks on the outside, which is totally optional.
- When I tested this recipe I tried freezing the wraps and reheating them and found the tortillas got really chewy and not so easy to eat so I don’t recommend freezing them. But, if you want to make them ahead, keep the filling in a separate container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve them just warm up the filling and make the wraps. This makes them an easy lunch or option during the week.
- Serve them as is or add some ranch on the side for dipping. Or maybe some potato chips or fries? (<— I might have tried all of these).
Happy wrapping 🙂
More Chicken Wrap Recipes
- Southwest Chicken Wraps
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Salad Wraps
- Cranberry-Walnut Chicken Wrap with Lemon-Poppyseed Dressing
Tropical BBQ Chicken Wraps
Inspired by Hawaiian pizza these chicken wraps have bacon, fresh pineapple, and mozzarella cheese. Use your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce and the wraps are ready to go in about 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced pineapple (1/8” pieces)
- 3/4 cup store-bought BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it starts to release its fat. Add the onion and chicken and cook them together with the bacon until the chicken is no longer pink about 5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple, BBQ sauce, and salt to the pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook it all for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low to keep the filling warm while you make the wraps.
- To make the wrap, first warm the tortillas in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds. Place about 1 cup of the filling just off-center on a tortilla. Top the filling the 1/4 cup of the cheese. Fold the tortilla over the filling, folding the ends into the burrito as you roll it. Repeat with the other tortillas.
I placed the wraps on a hot grill pan to get the marks on the outside. You can also use a skillet to toast them on the outside or just serve them as is. It all works. Make the filling ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator so you can make wraps for lunch or dinner during the week. Just warm the filling on the stove or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1 wraps
- Calories: 716
- Sugar: 22.9G
- Sodium: 2340.7mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 92.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 48.1g
- Cholesterol: 97.1mg
Keywords: BBQ chicken wraps, hot chicken wraps