Helloooooo. Today it’s all about make-ahead Southwest Chicken Wraps with black beans, corn, green chile and a creamy ranch-inspired avocado dressing.
Southwest Chicken Wraps
The inspiration for these southwest chicken wraps started with a ranch-inspired avocado dressing from a blogging friend, Jennifer Meyering. It’s a simple dump and blend dressing made with fresh herbs, sour cream, and buttery avocado.
Giving it a day to rest in the fridge does wonders to develop the flavors, so I made all of the components for the wraps and stored them in the fridge along with the dressing. So, this week, when lunchtime rolled around it took less than five minutes to assemble, roll, and slice the wrap.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Black beans, green chiles, cilantro, corn, and fresh lime juice.
- I love raw red onion, but sometimes it goes rogue and takes over a dish with it’s pungency. To remedy that I diced the onion and submerged it in cold water for ten minutes. Giving it a soak mellows it out, so it maintains it’s flavor without it’s aromatic boisterousness.
- I grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts, but any sort of cooked chicken – like rotisserie, baked, or pan-seared – will work.
- I used fresh parsley, dill, and chives for the dressing, but the original recipe Jennifer shared uses dried herbs. The measurements are different, so refer to her avocado ranch dressing recipe if you want to used dried herbs.
- Flour tortillas or any other sort of wrap that you like.
📩 Want more delicious recipe ideas? Sign up and get the free email series Gourmet Made Easy plus new recipes delivered to your inbox!
More Chicken Wraps and SandwichesPrint
Making the filling and dressing for these Southwest Chicken Wraps gives all the flavors a chance to develop. Keep each component separate in the refrigerator so when lunchtime rolls around all you have to do is wrap it all up in a tortilla.
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and cored
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1–2 tablespoons milk
Ingredients for the Wrap Filling
- 1 cup diced red onion (about ½ medium onion)
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded out to a thickness of approximately 1 1/2-2 inches and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Large flour tortillas
Make the Dressing:
- Add all of the ingredients, except the milk, to a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If the dressing is too thick, thin it with a tablespoon a milk. Add an additional tablespoon if needed. Transfer to a container, cover and place in the refrigerator.
Make the Wrap Filling:
- First, soak the diced onion for ten minutes in a bowl filled with cold water. While the onion is soaking, cook the chicken. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the hot pan and cook on each side for approximately 4-5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove it from the pan and let it rest for five minutes. Slice it into bite-sized cubes, transfer it to a covered container and place it in the refrigerator.
- Drain the diced onions. In a large bowl, mix the onions, black beans, corn, green chiles, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, place some of the filling on a tortilla, top with diced chicken, and drizzle a few tablespoons of the dressing on top. Roll the tortilla, tucking in the ends, slice and enjoy.
Depending on the size of wrap you use the serving amount will vary. I used large, burrito-sized tortillas that holds a lot of the filling and makes approximately 6-8 wraps. The nutrition information is based on a serving size of six.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 409
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Sodium: 777mg
- Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 49.9g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Cholesterol: 56.7mg
Keywords: chicken wraps
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.