This Egg and Avocado Toast is a quick and easy breakfast you’ll want to have every day! Toast topped with creamy avocado, fresh herbs, and a sunny-side-up egg takes just ten minutes from start to finish and is a great way to start the day.
Table of contents
For me, avocado toast is a perfect breakfast. Lightly toasted bread topped with creamy slices of avocado and a sunny-side-up egg cooked just long enough to set the whites so that when the yolk breaks open, it oozes onto the plate. It’s my favorite way to start the day.
🥑 Egg and Avocado Toast Ingredients
- Bread – I like multi-grain bread, but use your favorite.
- Unsalted butter
- Large egg
- Avocado – I buy avocados and leave them on the kitchen counter. Once they ripen – that is, once I gently press them to feel their softened flesh under the skin – I pop them in the refrigerator. This slows down the ripening, and they keep well for several days.
- Chopped fresh herbs – Parsley, dill, or chives are all great choices.
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
🍳 How to Make It
Toast the bread and while it toasts, fry the egg.
Melt butter in a small non-stick skillet over low to medium-low heat. Crack the egg into the skillet and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the egg until the whites are opaque and the yolk is still runny. This should take less than five minutes.
While the egg cooks, slice the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh of one half. Cut it into slices and place them on the toast. You can also lightly mash the avocado in a small bowl and spread the avocado mash on the toast.
Sprinkle salt, pepper, chopped herbs, and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes over the top.
Top the avocado toast with the egg and add a pinch of salt and pepper. That’s it!
There are a lot of ways to switch this up! Here are just a few ideas:
- Bread: Sourdough bread, crusty French or Italian bread, Texas toast… you get the idea; there are a lot of choices!
- Eggs: Top the toast with scrambled eggs instead of a fried egg.
- Herbs: Use your favorite fresh herbs or skip them if you’re short on time.
- Seasonings: Sprinkle sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning over the top. Or add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, or lime juice.
- Avocado: Make a quick guacamole to spread on the toast.
- Cheese: Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the top or melt a slice of cheddar cheese on the toast before adding the avocado and egg.
I hope you give this egg and avocado toast a try soon! Your morning will thank you for it ❤
💌 Sign up for the Girl Gone Gourmet Newsletter and get recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
🔆 More Easy Breakfast Recipes
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe along with your recipe star rating.Print
Avocado Toast with a Sunny-Side-Up Egg
This is how I like to start the day. A simple piece of toast topped with creamy avocado, fresh herbs, and a sunny-side-up egg. Egg and avocado toast is a great way to start the day!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 slice bread
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches of salt divided
- 2 pinches of black pepper, divided
- Pop the toast in the toaster. While the bread toasts cook the egg by first melting the butter over low heat in a small (8-inch) non-stick skillet. Once the butter is melted, crack the egg into the skillet and cover the skillet with a lid. Cook the egg until the white is opaque and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the egg cooks, prep the avocado. Slice the avocado in half by inserting your knife into it until you reach the pit. Run your knife around the avocado and then twist the avocado to break it in half. Remove the pit (the safest way is to run a spoon around it to loosen it). Slice the avocado, while it’s still in its skin, into thin slices. Use a spoon to scoop out the slices and place them on the toast. (see note)
- Spread the avocado slices on the toast. Sprinkle the parsley, dill, red pepper flakes, 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper over the top. Top the avocado with the cooked egg and season it with another pinch of salt and pepper.
For the other half of the avocado – wrap it in plastic wrap, and it will keep it in the fridge for up to a day.
Nutrition estimates may vary depending on the kind of bread you use. I used one slice of whole-grain bread, which is included in the estimates.
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 234.3mg
- Fat: 22.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 24.1g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Cholesterol: 201.3mg
Keywords: avocado toast, sunny side up egg
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.