A quick and easy way to dress up oatmeal! This banana nut oatmeal is a great way to start the day.
Banana Nut Oatmeal
I love breakfast on the weekends, but during the week? Not so much. As a notorious weekday breakfast-skipper I have tried in vain for years to establish a morning routine that includes a balanced breakfast, but always fail miserably. It’s not that I don’t have enough time or access to appropriate breakfast ingredients. It’s certainly not due to a lack of creativeness in the breakfast recipe department – a quick look through the archives on this site is evidence of that. No, I’ve decided it’s one of two things: laziness or some kind of breakfast aversion disorder. I don’t like to think of myself as lazy so I’m going with the aversion one – this whole breakfast avoidance issue is definitely a clinical problem.
This banana nut oatmeal I’m sharing with you today is something I enjoyed on a recent quiet Saturday, but maybe you’re a dedicated breakfast eater during the week? If so, then you’ll love this! It may look fancy and high-maintenance, but it takes very little time to toss together. Also, it’s very filling – oatmeal, walnuts, and bananas will get you to lunchtime feeling pretty good about life. No need to worry about that hangry I need to eat something NOW before I diiiieeeee craziness that tends to hit mid-morning on those days we skip breakfast. Which, for me, happens five days a week (I’m sorry co-workers).
So, I’m going to research options for weekday breakfast therapy and in the meantime, I hope you give this a try. Whether you make it during the week or on the weekend it’s a happy way to start the day!
More Breakfast RecipesPrint
A quick and easy oatmeal with bananas, walnuts, and a little maple syrup. It’s a great way to start the day!
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, cinnamon, or cloves
- Peel and slice the banana in half. Mash one half of the banana with a fork until it’s broken down. Slice the other half into 1/4″ slices.
- Place the oats in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and stir to combine. Cook the oats in the microwave for 1 minute. Add the mashed banana, maple syrup, and milk and stir to combine. Top the oatmeal with the sliced bananas, walnuts, and sprinkle the nutmeg over the top.
- Category: Breakfast
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 14.7g
- Carbohydrates: 65.2g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Protein: 10.3g