A quick and easy way to dress up oatmeal! This banana nut oatmeal cooks in the microwave and is a great way to start the day.
Table of contents
This banana nut oatmeal I’m sharing with you today is something I love for the weekends, but it’s so easy it’s weekday-worthy, too. So, if you are looking for easy microwave oatmeal that doesn’t come from a packet you’ll love this!
It may look fancy and high-maintenance, but it takes very little time to toss together. Also, it’s very filling – oatmeal, walnuts, and bananas will get you to lunchtime feeling pretty good about life. No need to worry about that hangry “I need to eat something NOW before I diiiieeeee” craziness that tends to hit mid-morning on those days we skip breakfast. Which, for me, happens more often than I’d like to admit.
Banana Oatmeal Ingredients
- Ripe banana
- Quick oats
- Salt – just a pinch!
- Maple syrup
- Milk – any kind will work! I like it with unsweetened almond milk, but I’ve also made it with whole milk and 2%. Other dairy-free milk will work, too!
- Chopped walnuts
- Ground nutmeg, cinnamon, or cloves – your choice!
How to Make It
Peel the banana and slice it in half. Place one half in a small bowl and mash it with a fork. Slice the other half into bite-sized pieces.
Place the oatmeal in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the water and stir. Microwave the oats for one minute.
Add the mashed banana to the cooked oatmeal and stir to combine. Top it with the sliced bananas, walnuts, and maple syrup. Sprinkle the spices over the top and enjoy!
Can you use old-fashioned oats?
Yes, but they will take longer to cook in the microwave – it’s usually about two minutes, but check the package for the recommended cooking time.
Can you cook it on the stovetop?
Yes, but I would increase the water to one cup. Bring it to a boil in a small saucepan or small pot over high heat. Add the oats, lower the heat to medium and simmer them until most of the water is gone.
I hope you give this banana oatmeal a try. Whether you make it during the week or on the weekend, it’s a happy way to start the day!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Blueberry Oatmeal
- Ranch Eggs
- Strawberry Toast
- Chorizo Breakfast Burritos
- Bacon Brie Breakfast Sandwiches
- Salsa Verde Eggs
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe, along with your recipe star rating.Print
Banana Nut Oatmeal
A quick and easy oatmeal with bananas, walnuts, and a little maple syrup. It’s a great way to start the day!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, cinnamon, or cloves
- Peel and slice the banana in half. Mash one half of the banana with a fork until it’s broken down. Slice the other half into 1/4″ slices.
- Place the oats in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and stir to combine. Cook the oats in the microwave for 1 minute. Add the mashed banana, maple syrup, and milk and stir to combine. Top the oatmeal with the sliced bananas, walnuts, and sprinkle the nutmeg over the top.
- Serving Size: whole recipe
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 21.4g
- Sodium: 349.7mg
- Fat: 15.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64.7g
- Fiber: 7.9g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: banana nut oatmeal recipe, easy banana oatmeal recipe
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.