One bowl and 30 minutes is all you need to make these rich and fudgy chocolate chip brownies with melt-y chocolate in every bite.
Chocolate Chip Brownies
As tempting as it is to doctor-up basic brownies – something I’ve been known to do from time to time – sometimes a basic pan of brownies, requiring nothing more than one bowl, a spoon, and a few simple ingredients, surpasses it’s tricked-out counterparts because, let’s face it, when a chocolate craving hits there’s just no time for extra steps.
These chocolate chip brownies are for those times when you want something decadent without the hassle of a fussy recipe. You know, for those nights when the couch is calling your name and your DVR is programmed to run back-to-back episodes of The Real Housewives of New Jersey all night long. Or, am I the only one who does that?
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsweetened baking cocoa – I like Ghiradelli
- The usual brownie suspects like flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, an egg. and baking powder.
- Brewed coffee. I realize this might seem like an extra step, but coffee makes chocolate taste more chocolaty. It’s important.
- Lots of semi-sweet chocolate chips also known as melt-y pockets of chocolate love.
You don’t need a stand mixer or extra time to sift the flour. It’s a dump and stir operation that requires, at max, 10 minutes to prep the batter using just a spoon and a bowl. You only need enough patience to wait for them to bake for about 30 minutes and, because these brownies are just for you, go ahead and slice into them while they’re still warm – you won’t get the perfect cut, but you will get pockets of melted chocolate in every bite. I know which one I prefer.
This is go-to brownie recipe when a sudden onset chocolate craving hits.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus a handful extra
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the butter, sugar, egg, coffee and vanilla together in a large bowl. Add the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top (optional).
- Category: Desserts