This zucchini orzo is a quick 20-minute pasta recipe! It’s loaded with fresh herbs, zucchini and a short-cut sauce. It’s perfect for those nights when you want something fast and easy.
We’ve reached the point of the summer when 20-minute pasta dishes are not just easy convenient dinners but a way of life because anything else that takes longer is just not an option. Extended time in the kitchen? Nooo. Extended time in front of the AC? Yas.
Luckily, I’ve got a lot of easy pasta recipes up my sleeve and I’m adding a new one to the list. I’ve made this zucchini orzo at least three times in the last month and each time I’ve loved it more.
It’s simple, fast, and summer-friendly with the fresh herbs and zucchini. It’s also faster than ordering a pizza – something I tend to do when experiencing a lack of enthusiasm for summertime cooking.
Here are the highlights:
- You only need a handful of ingredients
- It’s fast – 20 minutes start to finish fast
- I love it with itty-bitty orzo pasta, but it works with all the pasta shapes.
- Fresh thyme
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Jarred marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
How to Make it
- Boil the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, saute the zucchini in a large skillet with the olive oil, salt and thyme.
- Once the zucchini is tender, remove the sprigs of thyme, add the chickpeas and sauce and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the cooked pasta, stir, garnish with the parm and basil and serve.
This recipe makes enough for two hungry people with some leftovers. Or, you can easily stretch it to serve four by adding some crusty bread and a green salad on the side.
Stay cool and happy (fast!) cooking,
More Quick Pasta Recipes
Looking for more fast dinner recipes? Here are few more that I love to make ❤
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe along with your recipe star rating.Print
This zucchini orzo is a quick 20-minute pasta recipe! It’s loaded with fresh herbs, zucchini, and a short-cut sauce. It’s perfect for those nights when you want something fast and easy.
- 4 ounces orzo
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8-ounce) zucchini, cut into half-moons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup jarred marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parm
- 4 large basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- Boil the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks heat the olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, salt, and thyme sprigs. Cook them in the oil, stir frequently, until the zucchini is tender about five minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprigs from the pan and discard. Add the chickpeas and marinara sauce to the pan and stir. Bring it to a simmer. Once the pasta is done cooking drain it and add it to the pan with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the parmesan cheese and basil and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 8.2g
- Sodium: 641.5mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.4g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 51.4g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
Keywords: pasta with chickpeas, pasta with zucchini, zucchini pasta recipe
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.