This post was first published in January 2010. Post, recipe, and photos were updated January 2019.
Ravioli with Parmesan Cream Sauce
This ravioli with parmesan cream sauce is one of those once-in-awhile treats best served on a cold and snowy January day when you’re craving something cozy and comforting. Since it has a creamy sauce the leftovers won’t keep well so I made it a small-batch recipe that serves just two. There’s tender cheese-filled pasta, a creamy parmesan cheese sauce flavored with garlic, and a toasty breadcrumb topping. In other words, it’s a rich and decadent dinner.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- Store-bought refrigerated cheese ravioli, although you can substitute other ravioli if you’d like something a little meatier.
- The sauce starts with flour, butter, and whole milk. I cooked the garlic and Italian seasoning in the butter before adding the flour and milk.
- Once the white sauce thickens add the parmesan cheese. It melts into the sauce making it creamy and cheesy.
- The ravioli goes in the sauce and I like to divide it all between two oven-safe bowls.
- Top the creamy pasta with breadcrumbs, more parmesan, and a few cubes of butter. Pop the bowls under the broiler just until the breadcrumbs toast and create a crispy crust.
- I garnished mine with some chopped chives for a pop of color and freshness.
More Recipes for Two
Ravioli in a creamy parmesan sauce topped with crispy breadcrumbs is a comforting dinner for two.
For the Ravioli
- 1 (9-oz) package fresh cheese ravioli
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Topping
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Boil the ravioli according to package directions. Drain and set it aside while you make the sauce.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook it all together for a minute or so. Add the flour and stir until a paste forms. Cook the paste for a minute or so stirring continuously.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk to create a smooth sauce. Cook the sauce over medium heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about ten minutes. Add the cheese and stir until it has melted into the sauce. Add the black pepper and stir again.
- Add the cooked ravioli to the pan with the sauce and gently stir it to coat it in the sauce. Divide the pasta and sauce between two oven-safe bowls.
- Turn the broiler on and place an oven rack in the top spot in the oven. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over the pasta in the bowls. Top the breadcrumbs with the cubed butter. Place the bowls on a sheet pan and transfer them to the oven. Broil until the breadcrumbs are toasted, about three to five minutes. Garnish with chopped chives, if using.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 859
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Sodium: 1341.9mg
- Fat: 42.6g
- Saturated Fat: 25.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 80.1g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 39.4g
- Cholesterol: 142.1mg
Keywords: parmesan cream sauce, ravioli in cream sauce
The nutrition information in this recipe is an estimate only and was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.