Sometimes the only saving grace is a pan of cheesy pasta at the end of a long day. God help me if I ever have to be on a low-carb diet. I would so miss my Fettuccine Alfredo.
Lately, I need this kind of comfort food. Between the crazy presidential election, North Carolina weather that includes snow and tornados, Steve’s excessive travel schedule, and my own stressful work, carbs are all I can count on right now.
My weeknight dinner heroes are quick and easy pasta dishes. Keeping a few choice ingredients around – like cheese, pasta, butter, and cream – means I’ll save a few bucks on ordering out and, believe it or not, I’ll save a few calories, because when I call for take-out I get enough for at least five people and eat it all myself. It’s true. The last time it cost me about $20 and included crab rangoon, sesame chicken, and lo mein. You can almost call this hot pan of cheesy pasta diet food.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Forkfuls of creamy pasta. Chunks of chewy rustic bread. A glass of crisp Pinot Grigio to wash it all down. It’s simple stuff best served straight from the pan, curled up on the couch, with a side of reality TV.
- 4 ounces fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of boiling water to a boil. Toss in a generous amount of salt (it should taste like the sea). Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it’s frothy, about a minute or two. Add the cream and increase the heat to medium. Whisk the butter and cream until well combined. Add the cheese and continue whisking until it’s melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Using tongs, transfer the cooked pasta from the pot to the cheese sauce. Toss it around in the sauce until it’s well coated for about a minute or so.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
- Calories: 939
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 1072.8mg
- Fat: 35.1g
- Carbohydrates: 118.8g
- Fiber: 12.7g
- Protein: 45.2g
Keywords: Fettuccine Alfredo