This creamy mushroom pasta takes only 30 minutes – it’s a great weekday dinner idea.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
One of the things I love most about Fall (yes, according to the meteorological calendar, technically September 1st is the start of Fall ) are comforting, warm pasta dishes, so I’m kicking off September with a dish that takes just 30 minutes to make using simple, everyday ingredients. We can all use more go-to dinner ideas that help us tackle the suppertime conundrum – friends coming for dinner? Make this creamy mushroom pasta! Need a weeknight 30-minute meal solution? This creamy mushroom pasta is the answer! Special occasion supper? Give this creamy mushroo… okay, I think you get the idea.
A Case in Favor of Pre-Sliced Mushrooms
Can we talk about pre-sliced mushrooms for a minute? I used to turn my nose up at “convenience” produce with the opinion that it’s always better to slice and dice your own ingredients. While this may be the case for some things (for example, I always peel and chop my own garlic and I don’t buy pre-grated parmesan), I’ve come around to using some short-cuts and mushrooms are one of them.
Yes, yes, I know they cost more, but during the week I’m okay with paying a little extra to catch a break. We work hard! We deserve some pre-sliced mushrooms! I shamelessly used a couple packages of mixed mushrooms, but any kind of mushroom will work – even the non-sliced ones.
You start by browning the mushrooms in some olive oil. As they cook you’ll notice some browned bits sticking to the bottom of the pan – this is good news! Once you add the butter, cream, and parmesan cheese (three of my most favorite things in life) you’ll scrape up all of that tasty stuff off the bottom of the pan to create a creamy, rich, mushroom-infused sauce that you then toss with some hot pasta. When you taste the final result you’ll be amazed that it only took 30 minutes, so be sure to pour yourself a glass of wine to celebrate – that’s what I always do.
So, three cheers for Fall and creamy mushroom pasta! It’s a wonderful dish to start the season and one that I’ll be making again and again (and again!).
More Pasta Recipes
- Balsamic Mushroom Pasta
- 5-Ingredient Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- Kielbasa with Creamy Mustard Pasta
- Broccoli Rabe Chicken Pasta
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
This rich and creamy mushroom pasta only takes 30 minutes to make – it’s easy enough for weeknight dinners, but totally “guest-worthy”, too! Serve it with a fresh green salad, garlic bread, and a bottle of white wine.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American
- 6 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus a couple tablespoons for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions (reserve about 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking water).
- As the pasta is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and let them brown, stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes. Don’t worry if they stick a little to the bottom of the pan – you will be using all those browned bits in a few minutes! Season the mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper.
- Once the mushrooms have browned, add the butter and stir it around until it has melted and is coating the mushrooms. Add the cream and, using a wooden spoon, scrape all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring the cream to a simmer and let everything cook for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cream mixture and stir it all together. Add the parmesan cheese and keep stirring until the the sauce thickens. If needed, add a small amount (up to 1/4 cup, but not all at once!) of the starchy cooking water to help thicken the sauce. Garnish the pasta with the chopped parsley and parmesan cheese and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 497
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 981.2mg
- Fat: 32.4g
- Saturated Fat: 18.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.1g
- Trans Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 35.7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 17.2g
- Cholesterol: 81.9mg
Keywords: mushroom pasta, easy mushroom pasta recipe, creamy mushroom pasta