This eggplant casserole is full of the best that summer has to offer – eggplant, fresh herbs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Serve it as a side or toast some top-slice hot dog buns and serve it as a hot sandwich filling.
More Eggplant RecipesPrint
This casserole is full of the best that summer has to offer – eggplant, fresh herbs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Serve it as a side or toast some top-slice hot dog buns and serve it as a hot sandwich filling.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 portabello mushroom caps, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in the onions and cook for 3 minutes or so (don’t let them brown). Add in the peppers and garlic and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Finally, add in the tomatoes and herbs and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove the mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the vegetable oil and then add the eggplant and salt. Allow the eggplant to cook until it’s browned, stirring frequently. Once browned add in the flour and stir. Add the tomato mixture and stir everything together and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a 2 and 1/2 quart baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray, spoon in 1/3 of the vegetable mixture. Top it with some Parmesan cheese and a few slices of mozzarella. Spoon more of the veggies on top of the cheese followed by more cheese. Spoon in the last of the mixture and top it all of with a layer of cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow the casserole to stand a few minutes before serving.
Update July 2015: This recipe was adapted from one that I found online at Eggplant Recipes.
- Calories: 343
- Fat: 23.1g
- Carbohydrates: 21.2g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 17.3g