Welcome the newest member of the esteemed double-duty recipe club: shrimp fettuccine with tomatoes and feta.
If a recipe is easy enough for a weeknight and fancy enough for guests it deserves a place of honor on the go-to list of recipes. Gotta love a two-for-one deal, right?
I first met this double-duty shrimp pasta dish at my neighbor’s house last month as their guest for dinner. Grateful for their invitation, I arrived tired and stressed. My relationship was over and I’d spent days packing up all my stuff to move to my new house. Pre-dinner chatting and wine sipping provided respite from my up-turned life. Delicious bites of pasta and shrimp, tossed in a fresh tomato sauce speckled with bites of creamy feta cheese, was therapy for my weary soul.
I forgot to ask for the recipe, so after I unpacked my kitchen in my new place I recreated it from what I remembered. The ingredients for this shrimp fettuccine are simple and it’s on the table in about about 20 minutes. I scaled my recipe to serve two on a weeknight when the dress code is reality TV comfy, but it doubles to serve four for a casual Saturday night get-together.
Some Ingredients You’ll Need
- I used fettuccine, but any long pasta will work fine.
- The simple sauce is just olive oil, chopped tomatoes (I use the brand Pomi), garlic, and balsamic vinegar. The sauce cooks in the time it takes to boil the pasta making this a fast 20-minute weeknight dinner.
- While I love to cook with fresh shrimp it’s not always practical given their habit of going bad after a day or so. Frozen shrimp are easy to work with and, bonus!, will keep in the freezer for several months. Look for shrimp that are already peeled and deveined.
- Fresh basil and lots of it!
- Feta cheese
Shrimp tossed with pasta, a simple tomato sauce, and feta cheese is an easy 20-minute dinner idea for both busy weeknights or a weekend get-together with friends. This recipe serves two, but easily doubles to serve four.
- 4 ounces fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces frozen shrimp, thawed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Cook the fettuccine according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Let it simmer while the pasta is cooking.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the tomatoes. Add the basil and shrimp. Toss it all together and let it cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Sprinkle the feta over the top and serve.
Look for frozen shrimp near the meat counter at the grocery store. This recipe works best with small shrimp, so look for packages marked 51-60 count per pound. Thaw the shrimp before using by submerging them in cold water for at least 10 minutes. Drain and pat them dry before cooking.
- Category: Main Course