Move over chicken soup because I’ve got a new bowl of comfort in my life. This garlic soup is so easy to make and tastes amazing!
How I’ve made it this far in life without making garlic soup is beyond me. I love garlic and soup, so it’s clearly a match made in heaven. It’s comforting, like chicken soup, but so much easier to make.
You only need a few ingredients for this easy soup recipe. This particular version is thickened using egg yolks, which results in a rich and velvety smooth soup. I also like to add some homemade croutons to make it a little more filling.
Give this garlic soup recipe a try – it’s perfect for those days when you need a little TLC in a bowl.
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh thyme
- Bay leaf
- Cubed bread – French bread or Italian bread work great.
- Olive oil
- Herbs de Provence
- Pinch of salt
- Egg yolks
- Grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Bring the water to a simmer in a pot and add the garlic, fresh herbs, and bay leaf. Simmer them for about 45 minutes.
While the garlic simmers, make the croutons. Toss the bread cubes in olive oil and herbs de Provence. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake them until they’re golden and toasty. Set them aside while you finish the soup.
Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl and set it aside.
Strain the water, garlic, and herbs into a bowl. Discard the solids.
Ladle some of the garlic soup into the bowl with the whisked egg yolks and whisk. Add some more liquid and whisk again. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the pot and add the rest of the garlic soup. Whisk again so the soup is combined.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with croutons.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
📣 Do you love this recipe? I would love to know! Leave a comment below the recipe along with your recipe star rating.Print
This garlic soup is so comforting – it doesn’t take long to prepare and is a perfect starter for a meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: American
- 5 cups of water
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- bay leaf
- 3 french bread slices (1 1/2 inch thick), cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- generous pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the water to a simmer over medium high heat. Add the garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Let it all simmer (adjust the heat, if necessary) for 45 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare the croutons. Toss the bread cubes in the olive oil, herbs de Provence, and salt. Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the egg yolks together until smooth and set aside.
- Once the garlic has simmered, strain the liquid (I use a fine mesh sieve positioned over a bowl) and discard the solids.
- Ladle a small amount of the hot broth into the bowl with the egg yolks, Whisk it together with the yolks – this will help warm the eggs slowly so they don’t scramble. Ladle another small amount and whisk again.
- Pour the remaining broth back into the pot. Add the egg yolk mixture and whisk until combined. At this point, you could strain the soup to ensure there are no solids, but I serve it up. Garnish each serving with the croutons.
This recipe makes four small servings which are great as a starter for a meal. Or, it makes two generous servings as a main course with a tossed salad on the side.
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 1199.8mg
- Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 46.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 14.8g
- Cholesterol: 235.9mg
Keywords: garlic soup recipe
The nutrition is an estimate only. It was calculated using Nutrifox, an online nutrition calculator.